Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Why is PE frowned upon here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Unite&Resist36, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Unite&Resist36

Unite&Resist36 Member Forum Member

Mar 15, 2011

I was just wondering why many of the members of this forum hate/dislike Profane Existance... Are they sellouts or something? Just curious.

2. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

when this site was (to my understanding) relatively new, PE got rather upset with their music being put up here for download. Whilst a simple request to take said music down would have sufficed, instead PE started calling users and mods of this site all sorts of offensive things, and so on...

3. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    There has already been a lot of debates on Profane Existence here, most of them were deleted so i don't want to start another debate. This topic will most likely end up closed before Profane Existence fanboys register on this forum to defend their hero Dan.

Like Butcher said, when this site just opened Profane Existence members including Dan himself started calling us fake anarchists, insulting us, trying to destroy our reputation, and calling us thieves... All of this because they have different views on how music should be distributed in anarcho-punk scene.

I believe we have done all our possible to come to a consensus, especially because we offer bands and labels the possibility to request their music to be removed. On the other side, Profane Existence only wanted to see us disseapear and get our website closed.

As for Profane Existence management, we have many reasons, evidences, and even stories from close friends of Dan that makes us believe Profane Existence is actually making a lot of money while pretending to make absolutly no profit and having even lost money with their releases. We have proof that Dan also lied about the hosting cost of websites (to justify the presence of google ads that brings him lots of money), which makes us believe he might be lying on other things, for example on how he supposedly lost money with PE releases. Most of us also dislike the commercial way the label is managed and worst of all their strict opposition to file sharing in the objective of not losing profits.

My opinion on the whole story is that Dan and other Profane Existence members are shocked of losing profits over the millions of users, blogs and website that are sharing their music, so they were just trying to find a victim to put the guilt on. They needed someone to blame for the file sharing, and as they can't attack soulseek users, small blogs or torrent websites they targetted us.... I think it is really stupid, because unlike the millions of other places where this music is being shared, anarcho-punk.net unlike others actually give the possibility to bands and labels to remove their music. They should attack the millions of other websites/blogs sharing their music and who dont care about delete requests from bands and labels.

4. Unite&Resist36

Unite&Resist36 Member Forum Member

Mar 15, 2011

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

5. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    This should be added to the site FAQ because it gets asked a lot here.

6. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    And besides fuck them that's why... :lmao:

7. coponfiredub

coponfiredub Member Forum Member

Oct 14, 2010

Profane existence in pdf?

hey,
    i've been looking to download the profane existence magazine nr 60/61 from their site, as they say you can download it in pdf for a donation. however i can't fuind any link to it anywhere, and get no answers to my mails from them. does anyone know how/where to get it as pdf? i'm asking because i didn't find one single distributor in belgium who has it.
    thanks

8. coponfiredub

Oct 14, 2010

although i can understand you have problems with their attitude - if what you say is true, that sucks from PE! but i do think they explain themselves better than that in their magazines. If everyone on this forum who is sceptical about rumour x and rumour y about PE or whatever band/person (any band that sold more then a few cd's got the gossip treatment in the punkscene). I can tell because one of my bands got some totally unfounded rumours spread. but to go call people who are critical towards "i heard a rumour through a friend..." fanboys is totally childish, and not worthy of our socalled non-bigoted anarchisty morale. be careful with those witch hunts, i'm sure everyone of us has beeen an asshole to someone once in their lives, onlyu not everyone gets to read or discuss it on a forum when they do. i'v been heavily into anarchopunk for 18 years now and this holier then thou crap hasd chased loads of people away since the beginning, and makes it hard not to become cynical about a scene that is supposedly fighting for the same causes. putting out music isn't always easy or cheap. just one more example: diy distros come and go, and we've lost loads of records on enthousiastic people who got records on sale or return, then one day drop out of the punkscene and you never get to hear from them again. many iof us can probably relate to these things on a small level, but i imagine labels likePE had loads more requests then we had, thus changing their attitude on certain things.
    and now you can all start throwing rocks at me...

9. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    :lmao:

10. coponfiredub

Oct 14, 2010

great fucking answer. youi're really building something here... i didn't know how cheap talk was untill i got mixed up in internetforums

11. Burn1ng

Burn1ng Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 24, 2011

So PE members can insult people here and treat them as fake anachists but the minute AP.net users call PE supporters fanboys they're the bad guys?

WTF.

12. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    I don't have to answer anything, are you demanding an answer? Search engine top right corner, learn how to use it....and like I said before, as far as I'm concerned, fuck Profane Existence and fuck Dan, for hundreds of different reasons, from dozens of different friends and bands. Do your own research and come to your own conclusions. And as always, if you think this forum is all cheap talk then I would politely suggest you move somewhere that's more inspiring to you...we here are completely over with that subject, it's boring and played the fuck out and there are literally thousands of much more important topics going on right now.

13. bootscope

bootscope New Member New Member

Feb 15, 2011

Hey there. This is my first and probably my last post here. In regards to PE they have been doing more for punk than sitting on their ass's and posting on message boards. Also PE has been around since 1989. How about you? They will be around long after this board is down and most of you have a nice office job, 2.5 children and saying "oh my miss spent youth" Have a nice day!

14. Caps

Caps Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2010

Why would someone even bother posting something like this? It adds absolutely nothing constructive. Profane Existence WILL do fine, regardless of what this site thinks. It's not like the people run around properly complaining about them. So why are you, bootscope, so bothered? Someone asked the reasonable of why there was an issue and it was answered, it can be taken or left. But hilarious accusations like the second to last sentence shows that you just posted a FUCKING STUPID knee-jerk response. Fuck it, this thread should probably be locked...

15. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Yeah they have been ripping off bands and making obscene amounts of profit for Dan for many years, and I'm sure they will be ripping many more people off in the future as well. Take your head out of your ass and see them for what they are instead of blindly worshiping at their PR teat......pendejo.

16. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

Ok new people. Quit coming here and starting shit. Plenty of members of this forum are also members of PE's Organize and Arise forum. As of right now there isn't a beef between the two and I'm sure I'm not the only who'd appreciate it if bored noobs would stop coming on here trying to ignite a fame war. As with anything else, your best bet is to do your own research and form your own opinion. Some forum members here have a negative opinion of PE, some PE/O&A forum members have a negative opinion of us. That's their perogative, but on neither forum does anyone sit around and shit talk the other, so don't come here and try it.

If the question is why we don't SHARE PE music here (without the band's permission), it's because they told us not to so we don't. Simple enough.

As for who's been doing what for punk and for how long...take a look at some of the members of the forum here. Some people are equally if not more influential and have been in it long before '89. Next time try saying hello and introducing yourself instead of being a jerk right off the bat. There doesn't ALWAYS have to be something to in-fight about.

17. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Oh look, another fanboy retard who doesnt have anything else to say than worship his heroes from PE. There's 50.000 posts in this message board but the only thing that interessed you enough to contribute is a debate where you can come defend your heroes without any argument worth reading.... Sums up pretty much your involvement in the punk scene : licking asses instead of contributing to real debates.
    Yes, PE has been ripping off the punk scene since 1989, so what ? It means we should lick their asses without denouncing their bad attitude ?

By the way you dont know any of us, so keep your mouth shut off. Most of us has probably done more in a few weeks than you have done in your whole life.

Anyway, i'm glad that Profane Existence exists for one reason : it keeps all the idiots like you away from us. Thank you PE, we dont need ass lickers here :)

18. Dan

Dan Member Forum Member

Aug 31, 2009

19. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Ok, I might have gone a little overboard on that since I don't have hard proof, but what I do have are countless people that were previously associated with you that emphatically assert that you not only ripped them off you ripped others off as well. And I'm not talking about rumors but firsthand accounts Dan. Coupled with your renowned ego and controlling nature( as witnessed here in the past) and the fact that you charged $25 US for silk screened Amebix posters for punks sake and you are blatantly anti copy-left/anti-download doesn't leave very much wiggle room. I sincerely hope that I am wrong about you and that all these indicators somehow freakishly conspired in the universe to paint an incorrect portrait of you, but somehow I highly doubt that. I personally have gone out of my way to keep Profane Existence music off of this forum just to appease you, regardless of the fact that it is readily available everywhere else with a simple Google search...and you'll notice we don't ban people for bringing up this subject on APN as you have done in the past on your site...you are still welcome here to retract your position, or post, or defend yourself as you see fit. Somehow I don't think you are really interested in mending fences though.

20. Dan

Dan Member Forum Member

Aug 31, 2009

If there are genuine "first hand accounts" then I welcome people PE has wronged to post their info here or contact me directly. There have been times when PE has gone through tough financial periods and we've not been able to cover all our bases. We do go out of our way to right past wrongs and we'll do just that if one of those "countless" people step forward that we really have ripped off.

Also, FYI, the $25 Amebix "posters" you refer to are hand screen printed by Burlesque of North America (quite a famous art print collective) and are hand signed by the artist. These things cost a bundle to make and are intended to be a fund raiser for the band to record their new album. If you don't like it, don't buy it, but don't use it as an (uninformed) basis to spread lies.