Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

The Descendants

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrunkSquid, Nov 19, 2010.

1. DrunkSquid

DrunkSquid Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 11, 2009

Is that band homophobic and/or fascist? Or am I not getting something:

Think that I'm a loser
    'Cause my pants are really too low
    Think that I'm a slob
    'Cause I got holes in my shoes
    Think my cock is like
    I like my dirty shirt
    Well you can fuck off
    'Cause I'm working sixty a week
    You think that life is really tough
    When your pappy won't buy
    You a brand new car
    Take a girl out she won't fuck you
    After you just brought her a gram of coke
    You spent all your money on shitty coke
    I'm not a loser! That's right,
    I'm not a loser!
    Cruise down the boulevard
    Wasting Mommy's gas while you're
    Looking for kicks on Friday night
    You're only goal in life
    Is to smoke a joint
    And decide how you're gonna get
    Laid tonight
    You are a fucking son-of-a-bitch
    You arrogant asshole
    Your pants are too tight
    You fucking homo
    You suck, Mr. Buttfuck
    You don't belong here
    Go away you fucking gay
    I'm not a loser!

2. snookams

snookams Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 7, 2010

i don't know if they were necessarily homophobic or if they were just using the word gay out of anger; alot of hardcore bands did that back in the day. then again, the acceptance of homosexuality in the early 80's was much different then what it is now. of course, there's still no justification- and with that said, milo did apologize for these lyrics in an interview i read. so i suppose you can take from it what you want...

3. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    homophobic yes. sexist yes. fascist, i don't think so. also there is already a thread where this is discussed somewhere... try using that newfangled invention on this site called the search engine...

4. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

DirtyRottenThrashPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2010

This is what I think. I've noticed the whole faggot/homo/whatever thing in a number of old school hardcore tunes, unfortunately, but I don't think they were actually homophobic, just used to hearing those terms used in a derogatory way, and I mean I've noticed it with bands who's lyrics were super left wing and everything, so I think it's just a product of the times.

5. rustyvagrant

rustyvagrant Member Forum Member

Nov 17, 2010

it's pretty much them just satirizing the whole macho jock thing of calling people homo's and faggots. they're not homophobic whatsoever.

6. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

When you compare the lyrics with the ones just before them...
    It doesn't seem like he's being satirical.

Descendants suck anyways

7. JesusCrust

JesusCrust Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 17, 2010

Bad Brains.

I'm sure that's been discussed enough though.

It's a bummer because I DO like the Descendents, but that song, and a couple of others really put me off.

Adolescents too,
    (from the song "No way")
    "Cannot live in a world this gay"

Though the adolescents do redeem themselves, to me at least, with the song "Rip it Up" which to me is a direct attack at Nazi skinheads in the OC scene.

8. snookams

Feb 7, 2010

yeah it does suck that bands i grew up on had those kinds of sentiments in their songs. but i listened to that stuff when i was younger and i'm not homophobic now. however, there are bands like the dicks or big boys that came out of the 80's hardcore scene who counterbalance the whole anti-gay or gay insensitivity thing.

9. rustyvagrant

Nov 17, 2010

well i mean, it's not like they hated gays are anything, it was just a different time and they were just kids. punk wasn't like "blah blah i'm an anarchist you're a hypocrite" punk was i'm young and dumb and this is here and now. they were angry. bad brains were definitely homophobic and they expressed their beliefs.

10. snookams

Feb 7, 2010

yeah...it's still hard to have any sympathy or understanding for those lyrics because homophobia is such a problem in my area and in the rest of the world...i mean kids get killed because of it or end up killing themselves.

and fuck the bad brains, they're a bunch of vapid stoners...i used to highly enjoy their music (their old stuff at least) before i learned they were openly anti-gay...I felt almost betrayed in some weird way....Pay To Cum Along by MDC always comes into my head when i think of them. I even talked to a special-ed teacher from my old high school who played trumpet with them (for their reggae stuff) and told me how arrogant and excluding they would always be.

11. rustyvagrant

Nov 17, 2010

yeah. I still listen to bad brains old, non rasta bullshit hardcore. i mean, the musics good, but you can't get past how much they were just conservative stoner assholes.

12. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

DirtyRottenThrashPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2010

I still like old Bad Brains, the fist two albums were great. It sucks that they were openly homophobic though...never would have guessed based on their music. Though I guess, knowing that their rastafarian, it makes sense, I've read about some pretty weird views going on in many rasta sects...

13. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    anyone think the Sublime song 'Date Rape' is actually kind of homophobic also? "I can't take pitty on men of this kind even though he now takes in in the behind." Yeah it's supposed to be funny cause the guy rapes a girl and themn goes to prison to get raped by innmates, but it still to me is kind of immature.

14. snookams

Feb 7, 2010

@anxiety....maybe. i think it's immature not so much in terms of homophobia but in terms of how fucked up the prison system is.

15. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    The prison system isn't like that, it's another homophobic myth.....trust me I know.

16. Derek Danger

Derek Danger Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 29, 2010

Anyone who wants to know whether at least SOME members of Descendents are homophobes should check out ALL (the band that has, at a lot of times contained nearly all members of Descendents and is a side-project of sorts) and in particular their song "Hetero". Whether ironic or satirical or not, it really does grate, and if it's meant to be a joke it overplays its hand dramatically. Also, if intended to be satirical, it's not clear exactly what the satire in the song is, other than that it is wildly inappropriate...

What a fucked up world
    Or is it my fucked up head?
    The only way you are cool
    Is if you're gay or dead

Straight, normal, hetero guy
    Normal, hetero, straight guy

I never get any chicks
    But it's better than a gun,
    Or a dick in the mouth
    Is there any place to be for
    A normal straight guy like me?

Maybe I should pierce my butt
    Or get a few tattoos
    Maybe I should wear a dress
    Or be a homo like you

Yeah, that's right
    I'm a straight, normal, girl fuckin'
    Coffee drinkin'
    Titty suckin'
    Cigarette smokin'
    Seal killin'
    Red neck ass bastard from hell

17. sludgefuck

sludgefuck Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2010

I may be reading this wrong, but are you implying rape isn't common in prison?

18. Kerstbal

Kerstbal Active Member Forum Member

Dec 4, 2010

I think it is satirical, especially if you check the last part. Milo also talks alot about his frustrations that always the though insensitive assholes get the most chicks, this song, and the one metioned previously are both satirical and mocking the macho culture.

19. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    I'm not implying anything, I'm straight out stating it...Rape is not tolerated in prison, does it happen? Very rarely, rapists are killed in prison, that includes homosexual rapists. I just did 4 years in prison and that's how it is, so the myth that is promulgated by the media through television and movies is full of shit, plain and simple.

20. sludgefuck

sludgefuck Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2010

I don't mean to pry so feel free to ignore me but where did you do time? What level security? Because I have heard VERY different from people personally, but there are a lot of misconceptions about prison and it really matters where you're doing time. But I've never been in prison so it's not my place to talk.