Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Black Flag - White Minority

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by ungovernable, Jan 11, 2010.

1. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Anyone knows what's the story behind this song?

A nazi band called "Angry Aryans" even made a cover of that song....

wtf ?

2. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

I think its misunderstood, like when slayer covered guilty of being white
    but it is true whites will be a minority relatively soon, like within the next 40 or so years

3. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

According to a documentary I saw once it was because the singer grew up in a predominantly black neighbourhood and for a change whites were the minority, he never meant for it to have racist overtones, though I can see why people think that.
    Oh and supposedly he was as surprised to find out it was being covered by white-power bands as much as you are.

4. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Henry Rollins interview on VH1---

VH1: One thing they say on their Web site is that white people are oppressed and need to stand up.

HR: White people in this country have no clue as to what oppression is. I do not know what it’s like to walk into a restaurant and have the staff go, "Okay, skin color - dodgy. Make ‘em pay before they get their order." My whiteness gives me credibility. I can look low rent, but with this white skin, I will get served. I never understood why rap guys wore the gold on the outside until I started hanging out with some of them. I realized they have to externalize their legitimacy. They have to say, see, I can afford my Grand Slam at Denny’s because I have enough gold. I’m good for the bill.

http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/vh1_news_s ... ml?start=1

5. theoldpunk

theoldpunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 19, 2009

From an interview with BF in Ripper #6, Oct 31 1981:

6. BlinkoChrist

BlinkoChrist Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 1, 2009

In SoCal whites are the minority, the latino population is the majority. Not saying that to be racists, my best friend and drummer is latino. Just pointing out that white is QUICKLY becoming minority

7. Rathryn

Oct 21, 2009

That WAS kinda my point... lol
    And I can't say I can't imagine how you feel, I taught as an intern in Rotterdam, 13-18 year-olds (diff classes, but our education system is way different from you guys...lol). Anyway, there were 5 'white' 'indigenous' kids in most classes.... out of 30 in total. Kind of makes you feel... I dunno as the outsider for some reason, even though there is no real difference between 2 random 15 year olds when they're in class.

8. disfuck

disfuck Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 11, 2009

alot of black flag songs were very sarcastic , ive heard six pack and other drinking songs are making fun of people who drink

9. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Thanks TheOldPunk, i think it explains everything !

I never thought they could be racist, but i couldn't find the meaning of that song....

10. New Face In Hell

New Face In Hell Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 22, 2010

I knew the whole intent behind the song, so I've never had a problem with it. The only real problem is having my music library on shuffle while a friend's nearby, and it comes up, and they're like "What the fuck?", cuz they don't know what it's really supposed to mean.

11. New Face In Hell

New Face In Hell Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 22, 2010

Actually, that was Ian MacKaye talking about Minor Threat's "Guilty of Being White".

12. Rathryn

Oct 21, 2009

Lol.... that figures....

13. raindeer667

raindeer667 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 10, 2009

well it looks like the social terms "white privilege" will come into play...

or even some interest into bacons rebellion, who is the true wite?? why wite?

fooled.

14. NGNM85

NGNM85 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

I thought it was pretty clear it was 'taking the piss' out of the anxieties of white bigoted reactionaries. That's how I always perceived it.

15. Ivanovich

Ivanovich Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 31, 2010

"White riot, I wanna riot, white riot, a riot of my own." Joe Strummer said he was at Notting Hill riot about to throw couple brick, then notices everyone else around him is black. Similar theme with this song, I think.