Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Homosexuality

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by Lunadimae, May 3, 2010.

1. Lunadimae

Lunadimae Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 1, 2010

I've been debating for a while with some classmates about homosexuality/gay marriage/gay rights, and I'm having somewhat of a problem, could any of you help me by supplying any answers or reasons as to why homosexuality is ok?

I tend to defend it by saying that as long as both partners accept what they are doing then it is ok, they are free to choose whatever they want to do as long as it does not impose anything on other people, they are not harming anyone in any way.

Thanks for any help.

2. Anom

Anom Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 21, 2009

Oooh, i saw a movie today called "Priest" who takes up homosexuality amongst other things, it was really good so i can definately recomend it! I cried. Several times.

3. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    bu herein lies the problem, because ignorant people and the religious right claim it DOES infringe upon them. whether it's because it's 'against' the bible, or if having to see gay couples together makes them uncomfortable. They use that argument.

4. Rhube

Rhube Active Member Forum Member

Feb 5, 2010

I have a lot of trouble discussing this topic with people, because I have trouble understanding where they're coming from. The sex of a person is so far from my immediate thoughts, that I don't undertstand how they could care.
    Basically, all you can say is that homosexuality does occur in nature, and may be a genetic mutation, or hormone deficiency of some sort, but that shouldn't prevent homosexuals from having rights. Autistic people have equal rights, dwarfs have equal rights, and those are both defects in some way, so why should it be different for homosexuals?
    As far as marriage goes, a common new arguement is that homosexuals do have equal marriage rights, as they are allowed to marry somebody of the opposite sex, just like heterosexual people.
    To this I say that this is not true, because heterosexual people have the chance to marry somebody they love, and are physcially attracted to, whereas homosexuals do not.
    Obviously the answer to it being against the words of the bible is mentioning the separation of church and state, and how if the people getting married do not believe it is wrong, then why should it matter.
    The "What stops somebody from just marrying their best friend for tax/greencard/whatever reasons?" arguement is easily combatible with mentioning that best friends can just as easily be opposite sex, and get married under the current law.
    The "What stops somebody from getting married to a chicken?" arguement is obviously defeatable with "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU ON ABOUT, A CHICKEN CANNOT SIGN A MARRIAGE CONTRACT, YOU STUPID SHIT."

The whole don't ask don't tell military thing has an obvious rebutal: What about somebody's sexual preference prevents them from doing the duties of ... Well, being cannon fodder. But, don't say that. I'm sure you get where I was going with that.

Also: Ask them about individuals who are intersex. Who should they be allowed to marry, in their opinions?
    If they're giant filthy scumbags, they might say that they shouldn't be able to marry/live.
    To that, there's not much to say other than the fact that they were born that way, and there's really no arguement about that, the way there is (But shouldn't be, considering there's scientific evidence pointing one way) with homosexuality.
    But anyway, the intersex question is meant to open the door to there being another sex, and many other genders. This can kind of make people think a bit more, and realise that they can't really say "These people marry these people, these people marry these people, but these people can marry anyone they want, because they're not one of the two."
    It's like saying that abortion should be legal, but not for people who don't use condoms, or are promiscuous, or only if it's threatening to the life of the mother. Because really: Who is to decide, and regulate who can do this, right?
    So who gets to decide who intersex people get to marry? You can't just say "Well, you have more female traits, you can marry a male." because it's not so black and white.
    Intersex, and genderqueer are the shades of gray that can open minds in the right context.
    In a general social context, they just tend to make people angry, though. There are a shocking amount of people who won't have anything to do with genderqueer people.
    But in a debate context, it shouldn't be so repulsive to them. It's a good way to introduce things, as long as you do it respectfully.

Anyway, that's all I can think of. If there are any specific arguements that you're getting a lot, just let me know, because I've debated the topic enough that I probably have a rebutal.

5. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    the question should be, why wouldn't it be ok ? what's wrong ? what's the difference between a heterosexual couple and an homosexual couple ? both are humans, free to choose their lifestyle and their sexual orientation, right ?

i never understood why peoples care so much about other's sexual orientation... i mean it's something personnal, theyre free to do whatever they want in their bedroom... why would you care

even some animals can be homosexual...

zouabar and DisgorNoise like this.
  6. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

Yea i get conservative people telling me that they don't like gays "shoving their beliefs down their throat" which is hysterical because denying gays rights to marry or whatever the issue is about homosexuality is conservatives shoving their ideology of man only marrying women etc. etc. down their throats... oh politics... :ecouteurs:

DisgorNoise likes this.
  7. Jeremy

Jeremy New Member New Member

May 2, 2010

This is exactly it. What difference does it make to you (or to anyone) what two (or more) consenting adults do behind closed doors? Why does it matter?

8. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Well the obvious answer is, it matters to me that they don't have to be behind closed anything, that they can be loving in public without fear of reprisals, that they enjoy all things in life as we all do without fear of anyone else. I find that some people who hate homosexuals with a passion sometimes turn out to be repressed homosexuals themselves, who have grown to hate themselves but turn that hate outward. It's a vicious circle that has to be broken.

DisgorNoise likes this.
  9. Carlos

Carlos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 1, 2010

why gay marriage?..why not? I hate when people say its against god and what not, i mean they have to accept the fact that not everyone believes in god. Also, why should we have to be voting on making gay marriage legal or not? Why should my opinion affects someone else life? Who am i to tell them what they can and cannot do? I mean how is it fair that a man can marry a woman and then get divorced and merry another women, but homosexuals cant even merry once with a partner that they've loved for years? Ive argued with many people on this subject as well, but for some reason they just close their eyes and live their lives like they're right, its a fact there will always be close-minded ignorant people!

DisgorNoise likes this.
  10. Anxiety69

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    a homosexual can die from a bullet just as good as a heterosexual.

I don't believe gay people deserve or should get any special rights... but I believe they should have the exact same rights as everyone else, including marriage and public affection, military service, teaching, preaching, etc.

11. Carcass

Carcass Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 12, 2009

12. QueerPunk

QueerPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 29, 2009

Look I have tried offering something else but they didn't seem to be that keen for it...as long as their wives were not around. :lmao:

DisgorNoise likes this.
  13. QueerPunk

QueerPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 29, 2009

Oh and in relation to my views on marriage let alone gay-marriage, go read my article in Melbourne Black #2. I write under the name Benny Rudeboy.

melbourneblack.wordpress.com

14. nodz

nodz Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 4, 2010

The problem I have is that the right wing homophobes say that it is not 'natural' and 'against nature' cos the round peg don't fit in the square hole, so to speak.

I myself have no issue whatsoever with what two consenting adults do.

Also a lot of people have a problem with a children in homosexual marriges due to the argument of 'the child needs a role model of each sex'. I must admit that I have a couple of gay male friends and thier relationships are possibly more unstable than heterosexual ones but I do know many heterosexual relationships that are seriously fucked up too. I think that if children are involved in any relationship their physical (food, water etc) and emotional needs to be considred and met and if they are whether the relationship is hetero- or homosexual then it doesn't matter.

15. Lunadimae

Lunadimae Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 1, 2010

Thank you all for your help, especially Rhube. Much appreciation. :)

16. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

Hmm if you really want to piss off the Christians.... here's a little explanation from their own book: if you swear loyalty to the one you love, you are married in the eyes of God.
    Nowhere does it say you need to swear it to anyone else :p
    God will accept your love and loyalty for that person. Nowhere does it say what gender the one you love can or cannot be XD

DisgorNoise likes this.
  17. Rhube

Rhube Active Member Forum Member

Feb 5, 2010

For that one you have to be a bit graphic.
    I like to think that humans were biologically equipped to be homosexual.
    Males have the prostate gland accessable from the anal cavity, which is very pleasurable.
    Females have the potential for external stimulation, due to the clitoris. Heterosexual, missionary position intercourse doesn't even use the clitoric for pleasure, so obviously it's for other things. It's the only human port part that is exclusively for pleasure.
    Handy, really.
    Not all that scientific, but it's kind a "Fuck your fucking round peg, I've got all sorts of pegs!" kinda thing.

18. jim-bean

jim-bean Member Forum Member

May 7, 2010

I dont have a problem with gay people, and i dont care if they get married and shit, i just dont like people who are openly gay cause they just want attention... like Obama's election "vote for me I'm black, yes we can!"

19. Protspecd

Protspecd Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 3, 2010

I found that quite funny, never heard of this guy before. Now I am watching the rest of what youtube has of him, thanks =)

20. Anxiety69

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    I don't believe anyone is gay just for attention.

24 members have read this thread this month

1. Deadinside
  2. punkmar77
  3. celadrel
  4. pogo pope
  5. Malice
  6. NightmareEyes
  7. CalTheCrusty
  8. Spike one of many
  9. fullhd
  10. Max Genius
  11. yan spaceman