Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Homophobia in the Punk Scene (Total Wreck)

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by Carcass, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Carcass

Carcass Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 12, 2009

Total Wreck thinks it's super punk rock to drop homophobic slurs during their sets. Don't book shows for them and, if you go to a show where they're playing, be ready to call them out. The vocalist needs to find another way to deal with his insecurities than queer bashing. He'll only stop if people stand up to him.

Punk and hardcore is supposed to be a family. We are supposed to be looking out for each other and taking care of each other. This is music for people who feel so alienated from the rest of society that they have nowhere else to go. If punk doesn't mean at least that to you, then what the hell are you doing here? The music's not even that good, guys. It's like the same five or six chords. Go to a fucking football game instead.

tl;dr, I'm over entitled frat boys who camouflage themselves in tight pants and tattoos. If homophobic and racist language in the scene hurts you, know that you are not alone.

2. Protspecd

Protspecd Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 3, 2010

3. Shuei

Shuei Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 19, 2010

Gay is the new punk.

We had some problems with homophobic punks where i live - so, we tagged "Gay is the new punk" with big words on my heterosexual friends jacket, and tagged it multiple places.

4. rude-boy

rude-boy Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 12, 2010

ahhh chill out. ouuu the singer says fag or what ever on stage. big deal. its not like he is going around beating people. im not gunna not go to a show cuz the singer makes fun of somthing. if some one yells out bitch do you hear a groupe of girls(or their dogs?) get all mad?

enless he is out right calling people out and being hard core douch baggy then dont get so butt hurt about everything and chill out. people are alwase so sensative over these little things.

5. Carcass

Oct 12, 2009

Don't tell me to chill out, rude-boy. I'm quite calm.

I'm glad that you don't have to experience the gut-punch feeling of hearing a homophobic, racist or sexist slur. Seriously, it's awful and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But understand that not everybody has the luxury of shrugging these comments off. Understand that, for a lot of people, these words are incredibly hurtful whether or not you think it's reasonable for us to feel that way. I can guarantee that you know people who are with me on this, but they're probably too scared of being ridiculed as "hypersensitive" to tell you.

So, whatever. I can't make you do anything. If you don't care about how we feel then, by all means, continue supporting Total Wreck's punk-as-fuck privilege to make queers and allies feel like shit.

The vocalist kept calling people "faggots" on the mic. My friend and I told him to knock it off but he brushed us off and kept playing his set. Right before the last song he sarcastically mocked "people who want to make the hardcore scene a safe space for everyone." I confronted him afterwards where, again, he tried to brush me off. Dude looked to be about 20 and was not prepared to defend his behavior; he was just trying to act hard. Someone who lived in the house jumped in before I got a chance to say anything beyond "what was up with that homophobic bullshit?"

6. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

We down here in Melburn, Australia have the wonderful saying:

Anarchy is a Fag!

[​IMG]

given to us from the lovely local punk dickhead, Chunga, of 'The Worst'
    beautiful in its simplicity, though we've changed the intended meaning somewhat, wanna run with it?

moar on said dickhead... http://slackbastard.anarchobase.com/?p=860

http://slackbastard.anarchobase.com/?p=858

7. Carcass

Oct 12, 2009

Butcher, that's hilarious and I couldn't agree more. Anarchy is a fag! <3 <3 <3

8. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

Thank you Carcass, thank you for speaking up about this. The Denver punk scene is infested with homophobic sexist and racist dialogue that only seems to bother me... I'm new to the scene though, I'm trying to make friends, and I don't want to be "that guy" who has to speak out. A few weeks ago a man was in the front row with his shirt off and a swastika tatooed on his left breast, Seig heiling (is that even a verb?) at the stage. No one did anything... I'm only fourteen, I have a vegan frame and I've never fought a Fay in my life... Everyone loved this guy and what the fuck was I supposed to do? It sickens me. I don't even like fucking punks..... I'm sick of songs at shows that detach a woman from a vagina and praise the vagina, I'm sick of lead singers yelling faggot into the crowd and I'm fucking sick of Nazi toleration..I thought we were bigger then this.. I guess not.

9. Ivanovich

Ivanovich Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 31, 2010

I get through 30 fags a day, init. Yeah, don't support shit bands.

10. Anom

Anom Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 21, 2009

I have left a couple shows when the singer starts screaming out a bunch of shit about fucking bitches, last time was Mötley Crüe on Peace & Love festival, i can't just stand there and support that shit. There were other women there telling me it's just a part of their show, but so what if it is? I don't support that kind of a show. If they have nothing better than that to say, they could just shut up between the songs. Not that i'm a crüe fan, but since they were on the festival i thought i could just as well take a look. Instead i went back to the backstage area and had a beer.

11. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

When will you guys realize that people are pieces of shit and that the content of "fucking bitches" and saying faggot are going to continue and will never end? I credit those of you who can avoid talking about such issues in the way you guys were describing them, but its not going to stop. Plus i know gay people who doent find the word faggot offensive and others i do, its just like EVERY OTHER ISSUE ABOUT EVERYTHING

12. Shuei

Jan 19, 2010

I agree that Total Wrech sounds like assholes in your description here.

But you have to be careful, sometimes it's a slip of the tongue. People entering this scene isn't walking trough a golden shower, clearing them of all they hear in the world outside. "Bitch" is a demeaning word for women, definitely, but i can confess, that it's a curse word i can pull off in an angry situation - against boys, girls, objects or anything. I usually correct my self and feel bad, but i understand that a slip of the tongue can happen.

13. Anom

Dec 21, 2009

:lmao: Not laughing at you, only at the image in mind... :lmao:

14. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Buy a fuckin' clue, silly rude-boy

15. Shuei

Jan 19, 2010

Anom:
    Admitted, that one sounded wrong :p But most punk places i've been to, the chances that people shower at all are small anyway, so it might be more accurate

16. Anom

Dec 21, 2009

haha, true... but ewww! :S

17. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
  18. Axehandle Mountain

Axehandle Mountain Active Member Forum Member

Feb 26, 2010

I'm not going to boycott a band for saying "faggots". PC punx need a good slappin'. These words have often gone beyond their original meaning, as common in the English language, so dofn't leap to conclusions because someone says a word you don't like. I say "fag" often, and I'm certainly not a homophobe. People that are so easily offended by simple words deserve the insult.

19. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Wow, religious indoctrinated and also homophobe, you are definatly a cool guy.

When you're doing a set on the stage you have a responsability, it's not the place where to say anything. I don,t give a fuck if they use the word "faggot" in their personnal life but when doing it in the front of hundreds of persons it's definatly not appropriated.

20. pbastard

pbastard Member New Member

Apr 4, 2010

Too bad that being that stupid is not punishment enough! You'd think by now that would be a bad memory but I suppose there is opposition no matter what in all things. That never means let it go though...........