Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Getting older and the way you dress.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sick Boy 77, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Paczilla

Paczilla Experienced Member Experienced member

Jun 28, 2012
     United States
    I have 2 pairs of pants, 2 jackets, a pair of boots, sneakers, and some shirts and 2 hats. I dont really have a style, i never looked like a punk.

2. nodogs_nomasters

nodogs_nomasters Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    When I first started getting into punk during high school I dressed the part quite a bit. Spiked my hair up, wore baggy, dirty clothes. Got mistaken for a guy a lot, actually, haha.
    My style's gone through some changes and experimentation throughout the years. For now I dress like a more feminine version of my high school self. Shave half my head, wear steel toed work boots I got at the second hand store, I like to show off my figure more than I did as a teenager.
    The irony is that my parents used to say the whole thing was just a stage, when it turned out that dressing/acting at all "normal" was the stage, haha. I always find myself gravitating back to punk music/ideals, and dressing this way is how I feel the most beautiful and comfortable.
    Of course, I'm only 20. Who knows what I'll look like in another 10 years.
    Pretty sure I'll still have the same ideals in my heart, though :)

3. RememberGlencoe

RememberGlencoe Experienced Member Experienced member

May 12, 2014

I just have my big-ass straw hat I spraypainted the Scottish flag on top of and a bunch of white shirts I write shit on in sharpie, like "Chelsea Manning for President". Trying to DIY a denim vest I got, turns out the only thing I'm worse at than sewing is making stencils. I can't figure out how to do negative space WITHIN the positive space, if that makes sense. Also I suck at taking a box cutter to a plastic binder.

4. nodogs_nomasters

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    Have you tried bleach or fabric paint? Might be easier for you than stencils. Those bastards can be tricky.

5. Sti

Sti Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 26, 2011

Staples sells word cut out stencils an they come in different sizes. They look like crass titles which is pretty simple to make at home but all the letters are uniform etc and a pack of medium small ones are only four dollars. That with spray paint makes some pretty legit punk stuff. i
    i was in a hospital and one of the guys there was a graffiti artist in the 80s and I had him draw me a jobbykrust stencil on a sweater, and I have a bunch of tight jeans, (three black one white one red and one burgundy that and colored sweaters are my main garments of choice. but one of the pairs of pant is all punked out, I had a disorder style punk jacket straight jacket that was trimmed with yellow but I outgrew it in a year. The zippers couldn't touch anymore. So my guess was some wise asshole stole it from me because I'm not punk enough and god didn't give me the right permit. I still have some patches and some studs leftover so I am going to take a pair of black pants and checker them with one once dome studs. The patches on my pants are, crass conflict discharge the discocks doom anti sect antiproduct riot clone system aus rotten antischism apolitical cress the mob and finally avskum. I'm going to buy some skirts and I'm going to put a confuse patch on one. It's going to be a shiny rainbow acid pattern with confuse in punk cut out letters. When I made my order the guys forgot to put in a d.i.r.t. And a resist and exist patch. The dirt one was going to be on a sweater.

6. Sti

Dec 26, 2011

The skirts are coming from online. I'm going to get evicted If I don't buy more female clothes. They are like 3 dollars each and they are pretty cool. I just turned 18 3 months ago. Don't punks use this site? Or am I alone? There are also a bunch of people who want to sue me etc if I don't change the way I look. Did you guys know that zillah minx from rubella ballet sells UV black light fabric paint on eBay?

7. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    I think I know what you mean... I guess you could paste the whole lot onto a screen, like on a silkscreen... or even simpler, you could just paste the stencil, along with the negative bits straight onto your vest and then just peel it off after spraypainting it. Otherwise you'd have to leave a "bridge" like in that army- / Crass-type lettering.

Sti, you've got to explain this one to me. I'm dying of curiosity o_O

8. nodogs_nomasters

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    Yeah, seriously, Sti. What's up with all of that?

9. RememberGlencoe

May 12, 2014

Thanks, everyone. I had hit a wall, idea-wise.

I also want to know about this. :/

10. Sti

Dec 26, 2011

I just don't want to offend other girls. For men to like the way I look compared with how I act it doesn't make sense for a lot of people. It makes people pretty angry. People want to sue me me and I don't want to hurt their feelings. I have decided that taking care of myself as a girl is the right thing to do. People think I don't, I do, but I have to look like what people want to believe. Coming from me to you.

11. Sti

Dec 26, 2011

To be honest no matter how true or dark or honest something is eventually it BECOMES and individual ad that is that individual, that is something that people are okay with, sad to say, then enough will be said. That's called punk. That idea is in fact okay.

12. RememberGlencoe

May 12, 2014

I'm sorry, I still don't understand. What do you mean by "sue" you?
    What do you mean by "taking care of (yourself) as a girl"?. Do people think you're crust?

13. Anton-One

Anton-One Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 30, 2012

14. Kitsich

Kitsich New Member New Member

Jul 18, 2015

Yes, people should be themselves. And in thoughts, and in fellowship, and in clothing.

15. Sillysixpin

Sillysixpin Active Member Forum Member

May 11, 2016
     United States
    To the OP, dress down for casual occasions, there is a way to do this style minimally. Dave Trenga just wears a band shirt and plain. army shorts. Some people dress like the train hoppers which is free of patches but has mixed with crust fashion.

16. The Hat

The Hat Experienced Member Experienced member

May 29, 2019
    Illinois, United States  United States
    When I was 30, I went to Atlanta, Georgia to celebrate my 30th birthday with The U.K. Subs. I'm in my 50s now, and I still spike my hair, but on the well worn war vest, and steel toed boots, but what you wear doesn't define the individual as "Punk" or anything like that. It's a state of mind, and what you carry in your heart.

As The Wrecks once sang on the Not So Quiet on The Western Front compilation, PUNK IS AN ATTITUDE!

17. HenryChinaski

HenryChinaski New Member New Member

Feb 20, 2019
    Male
    California, United States  United States
    I think you should dress however you want, and the fact that you're thinking about it and asking questions about it means you're open to changing the way you dress. So go for it... you'll still be you

18. 1xAntifa

1xAntifa Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 22, 2019
    Victoria, Australia  Australia
    In my 20's it was my !%er original jeans [Hunter S Thompson explains those in his Hells Angels book], a black T, a black sloppy joe. unwashed bandana, leather jacket, cut-offs with club patches, a leather forearm band, mx boots with steel bands around the sole [for kicking tin tops that tried to invade my space] and a few motorcycle related badges. I had a mohawk at one point,but whenever I put the helmet on, it looked liked squashed roadkill on my head. I went for a No.2 cut with rats tails after that. Also wore a dope leaf or battle-axe pendant earring after piercing my ear with a darning needle. Add some tattoo's and I did frighten the citizenry. In retrospect this look was just another uniform that I had to conform to, to fit in. Boring.

Once I left that scene [they were more interested in getting drunk than riding] I let my hair grow down to my waist and grew a beard. At work I wore black straight leg jeans, kicker boots and black or dark blue collared shirts. They called me Che and I told them that they didn't know the difference between a communist and an anarchist. On weekends and holidays it was ratty old jeans,a T and unbuttoned flannel shirts that weren't tucked in. Basically the grunge look before it became fashionable [and the price of flannel shirts went through the roof. I also donned a dress now and then as a shit stir in public. One chemists I went to in my dress slipped a pamphlet for natural menopause remedies into the bag containing my script. My wife did the make-up. We pissed ourselves laughing at that one.

Since then it's been cargo pants [you can never have enough pockets]. T's and sloppy joes and hoodies. If I have to be more formal I go for loud Hawaiian shirts and a black vest. I cropped my beard and shaved my head so-as to change my appearance after a nasty encounter with the TRG here. I stayed short and trimmed for a couple of years after that, not wanting to attract the cops attention. It's now grown back to shoulder length and I don;t intend on cutting it although I'm almost 60 now. The beard is chest long as well now and is untrimmed/neatened in any way, despite my wife's attempts at persuasion. It's a 19th century type of beard, there'll be no mistaking me for some latte sipping hipster. I fully intend on growing old disgracefully.

Point is I've never looked straight since being discharged from the army when I was 20. Even in the army I wore a T with a big green glitter dope leaf that said life, be out of it. to the mess. There were no piss tests then and I confined my extra-curricular activities indulging in recreational pharmacology to my off-duty hours. It had been noted though, and came up when we parted on less than amicable terms halfway through my 6 year enlistment. Nor have I looked fashionable in punk or metal terms. I've simply dressed for my own comfort and not to conform with a scene or another's expectations. Let people read into that what they will. They'll pre-judge you for something anyway, so be yourself.

19. The Hat

The Hat Experienced Member Experienced member

May 29, 2019
    Illinois, United States  United States
    I love H.S. Thompson's writings. I never grew any facial hair, as I didn't like the way it looked on me. Some men wear it well, I didn't, and still don't. When I was a teenager, and up to my mid twenties, I either had short cropped hair, or a mohawk. Sometimes I would dress 77 style, meaning spikey hair, and a second hand sports jacket ripped up and mended with safety pins a la Johnny Rotten et al, but mostly I wore a cut off vest with badges and patches. When I had a mohawk in the 80s I was either mockingly referred to as Mr. T or people wanted to do me in. (I actually had some people try to run me down with their cars on more than few occasions) I was also a constant target of the police because of my looks. After going to my first Grateful Dead concert, for a few years, I still got my hair done up in a mohawk, so now not only was I a target for the cops, but all these so called open minded "Hippies" started giving me grief, assuming I was only there to score drugs, and wanting nothing to do with me. ( I had a few friends at the show, so I was able to score drugs, regardless of what people thought about the way I looked) There were also those who were genuinely interested as to why somebody looking the way I did would even be interested in a Grateful Dead concert, and when they sat down and talked to me, realized that I'm a rather nice person once they got to know me. (One has to remember there was a huge animosity between punks and hippies at one time, even though if it weren't for hippies, there wouldn't be punk on many levels) Eventually I started to grow my hair out, and wore tie-dyed shirts, but still kept the cut off jean vest and patches, looking a bit more like a 1% than a hippie. Then, after Jerry Garcia dies, I reverted back to short cropped hair, but it's been a long time since I sported a mohawk. (I might do that again soon, but I feel that I've gotten to a point in my life where I don't have to prove who/what I am by my hair or clothes, but what I carry in my heart, and what comes through. It's all just superficial window dressing, anyway)

As I stated earlier in this thread, I still wear a cut of jean vest, and spike the hair put I can always comb it down when I need to be "Presentable". (I'll also revert to 77 style of dress if an old school band comes to town) I can see how it can be seen as uniform, but it's more like a second skin to me. I always dressed the way I wanted to, not to fit in. (I don't think I could fit in anywhere anyway)

20. 1xAntifa

1xAntifa Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 22, 2019
    Victoria, Australia  Australia
    Yeah I remember never trust a hippie. I think it came from the Pistols talking about Richard Branson and got picked up by punks at large. I've also had car drivers try to kill me when I rode bikes. Hence wearing the heavy duty mx boots. A kick or two on their car usually saw them off. If it was particularly bad I'd follow them and punch their car or them in the face or gob on them. I had to resort to swinging a chain at one prick who wouldn't leave me be. I asked a few at traffic lights how they were going to explain killing me to my wife and kids.Most of the time, the superior acceleration, manuvourability and lane splitting capabilities of my bike meant I could simply getaway from the dickheads. Some of it was down to negligent driving on their part, others were road rage whilst the rest was down to a simple hatred of bikies.

Since I broke my neck and spine in a fall and have developed bone density problems I can no longer ride. It carries too high a risk of shattering bones or becoming paraplegic. Being a bikie was a big part of my identity and I'm still coming to terms with it 5 years on :-(.

3 members have read this thread this month

1. Pandora warwick
  2. punkmar77
  3. Charger Bullet