Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Fuck The Ramones

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by ungovernable, Aug 7, 2010.

1. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Ramone

Johnny Ramones asked people to vote for Georges W Bush on conservative-punk.com

The Misfits, another shitty punk band, are behind Conservative Punk movement.

an interessing article translated from french to english with google translate :

2. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    with all due respect Ungov.....Joey was very liberal and so were the rest of those guys except for Johnny who was a right wing douchebag.....

3. easy e

easy e Experienced Member Experienced member

Jan 30, 2010

yeah, everyone knows johnny was a completely conservative douche. i don't think anyone in the band got along with/agreed with him.

4. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    I never said the whole band is right wing, but obviously the other members weren't against his views since none of them ever critized him and they let him say stupid shit like "punk is right wing". According to the article i have posted, "cummings" is an album openly supporting conservative punk.

There is a lot of bands where only one person is right-wing or racist, and everyone still consider that the whole band is shitty because of this person. Combat 84 for example, only the singer is racist but everyone still agree that it is a shitty band.

If none of the other members critize the person for having shitty ideas, they end up supporting it..

if the other members would be really concerned about it, they would have reacted and refused to be associated with conservative punk, right wing, irak war support, persident bush, mccain or reagan, etc... But they didn't. They never spoke out against it.

It's the same story with The Misfits, only Michale Graves is a conservative punk, but it's still enough to say that it's a shitty band.

Only wattie is a dumbass in The Exploited... But it's still a shitty band.

5. Protspecd

Protspecd Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 3, 2010

Well, for the graves era...

6. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Michael Graves was chosen by the rest of the band...

and now he's using the notoriety that the rest of the band gave him to promote conservative punk movement.

7. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Except they did criticize him and fought about the difference in views a lot, and Johnny never pushed it on his audience until after they 'retired'. Joey hated Johnny for stealing his girlfriend and marrying her and the song 'The KKK stole my baby away' is about Johnny. They didn't speak to each other for decades....I'm not defending The Ramones as a whole I just think its a little whack to blame the whole band for one guy slowly turning into a nut job over many years....

8. Shuei

Shuei Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 19, 2010

Ungovernable:
    The others did speak out against it in Michale Graves case, or at least so the rumors goes. Everybody knows there were a lot of tension in the band, and one of the reason should have been his political view.

But, Graves left Misfits in 2000 i think, and the whole conservative punk thing was started in 2002. Same with Johnny Ramone. The others would have written left-wing political songs, but he was against it. That being said, neither Johnny or Michale were active in the conservative movement before 2002, and Graves left in 2000 and Ramones split in 1996 (Joey died in 2001 and Dee Dee in 2002 - Joey were active in the campaign "rock against apartheid" earlier in his career)
    In other words, neither Graves or Johnny were not active in the conservative campaign trail before 2002 long after the bands disbanded.

Apart from that, i have never heard either Graves or Johnny come with any racists or homophobic or otherwise fascist statements. I only know that they believed in free marked capitalism and that they thought to much social care made people weak - Thereby spawning the statement from johnny "punk is right-wing", because he believed that punk was about doing something about your hard life, by taking a chance even if you haven't got one.
    I don't agree with him, but it's not like i consider him or Michale Graves in anyway for fascists.

The only thing i really can't stand about them was the supporting of the iraq war and bush - which they of course, as many other conservatives, claimed were for the safety of the people of the western world.

On the thing about Jello Biafra - take a look at his political platform! It's a joke!
    Yeah, he ran for governor, but i think it was mostly a media stunt.

9. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    he also jokingly ran for president, with mumia abu-jamal as his running mate :)

oh yeah, and saying fuck the ramones is just plain mean :( Sometimes when you are in a band with someone and u click musically, it's hard to disown someone with different views. And it's not like he was a racist or a nzai, just misguided into thinking conservatism is the way :ecouteurs:

10. KAAOS-82

KAAOS-82 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jul 13, 2010

eh, strange lot the ramones

11. Apples

Apples Active Member Forum Member

Jul 5, 2010
     United States
    You don't have to like the Ramones, all that matters is what they did for the punk genre regardless of feelings.

moshpitmenace likes this.
  12. New Face In Hell

New Face In Hell Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 22, 2010

Exactly. During the time that they were together they wanted to appear as a cohesive unit, like the old school 4-piece rock bands from the '50s and early '60s. It's also why they all dressed the same.

13. Evil Dead

Evil Dead Member New Member

Jul 11, 2010

Johnny was pretty much the only Conservative in the band, but I grew up listening to them and one conservative asshole isn't going to change my mind about the band's music

14. Ferago

Ferago Active Member Forum Member

Feb 15, 2010

God who cares, they weren't a political band and didn't promote conservatism in any way. Also, they're dead.

I'm sure there's more serious things you could worry about.

15. nodz

nodz Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 4, 2010

Never really had a thing for the Ramones. I only listened to their stuff, after got into the UK scene and the Anarcho-punk scene.

16. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Oh really, so "conservative punk" movement isn't promoting convervatism ???

Inform yourself before saying anything....

17. Shuei

Jan 19, 2010

Ungovernable:
    "Conservative Punk" started after the disband of the Ramones. So no, the Ramones doesn't promote conservatism, Johnny does.

18. Bananaman

Bananaman Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 9, 2009

I have a confession to make, by a strange coincidence a free ticket to see Graves + Marky Ramone got into my possession some years back... I did go to see the show since I could enter for free, and from what I remember there was no political messages whatsoever or any talk of anything even remotely political. It may be that they promote conservative punk only to young americans or they thought nobody in the audience would understand them... Anyway I can't remember much a bout the show anyway as it wasn't really that good...

19. Shuei

Jan 19, 2010

Bananaman:
    Well, even if Johnny and Michale are conservative, i've never heard either of them state anything racist or homophobic or anything like that, so it's not like it's something you should be deeply ashamed of necessarily. Of course many things in conservatism sucks, and it's authoritarian like hell, but it's not hateful in the same way (that many conservative parties are hateful is something else)

I love Michale Graves in Misfits and Johnny in the Ramones personally. All the stuff they've made afterwards doesn't really appeal much to me though.

20. Ferago

Ferago Active Member Forum Member

Feb 15, 2010

Uh what conservative punk movement? That one website that no one gave a shit about except to make fun of? It doesn't even exist anymore...

Did you just learn about this stuff, because I think the heyday of it was circa 2004.

12 members have read this thread this month

1. Spike one of many
  2. aint ashamed
  3. Charger Bullet
  4. Nightbreed
  5. Starfighter
  6. porkbeef
  7. leather and studs
  8. Bullet
  9. Erroristic-Subculture.com
  10. Bernard Black
  11. ungovernable