Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Feelings on NOFX?

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by The Anarchrist, Dec 11, 2009.

1. The Anarchrist

The Anarchrist Active Member Forum Member

Dec 11, 2009

I'm a big fan of NOFX's music and their message in all honesty. But I'm just kinda wondering what y'all think. Have they sold out? Since they have gotten so big have they lost their authenticity? Whatever y'all say, its not going to change my mind about them, I'm just curious. LOL.

For the record, I feel that they have sold out, but in a minimum fashion and in order to help others and to spread their message. In all actuality, they have gone through great lengths not to sell out. Never got signed to a major label. Turn them down, you know? Anyway, just curious.

2. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    i like NOFX, don't love them, sometimes I find they are trying to hard to be funny, and it's kind of stupid. but when they right a good song like Jaundiced eye, it makes me think they could have been a good political punk band if that was the direction he had wanted to go. But songs about drinking, drugs, and general stupid things like sex with a fat girl, hippies, etc. don't interest me.

3. vectoman

vectoman Active Member Forum Member

Dec 5, 2009

I like em a lot, they are big, which I think is great because I can wear a NOFX shirt(I got a great one from Goodwill) and people can be like "I like that band" and we can start a conversation about music and go deeper into stuff that maybe isn't so well-known.

or someone could be like "ewww, you listen to death metal!?!?!"

4. The Anarchrist

Dec 11, 2009

LOL.
    Well thanks to both of you.
    Personally, I like the funny stuff of NOFX, but my favorite songs of theirs are the political ones. They have a lot of them actually, and this I know because I have all of their CDs. I downloaded them from the internet, but they don't care. LOL. Generally though, they take a round about, sarcastic tone in their songs and it can some times make it hard to find the message. But I completely understand where you're coming from by pointing out one song: I Wanna Be An Alcoholic. LOL.
    And vectoman, that's awesome. Especially love that you got the shirt at Goodwill. That's just about the same as making them your self, which is what I do. LOL. Got to love that DIY smell. You know the one, that smell that's a combination of cigarette smoke and stale beer and barf, sometimes a bit of pot in there as well. LOL.

5. disfuck

disfuck Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 11, 2009

never been a fan really , they kind of annoy , but i dont really know much about them , im not against them just not a fan of the music

6. The Anarchrist

Dec 11, 2009

Okay, thats cool. LOL. You not a fan of punk, or just not into the sound of NOFX? I'm not judging or anything, just asking.

7. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    They are idiots. Fuck them

Their message ? What message ? Pro-electoral propaganda ?

Real anarchist doesn't make shitty websites called "punk voter" and doesn't believe problems are solved by the participation to the state system

DisgorNoise likes this.
  8. The Anarchrist

Dec 11, 2009

LOL. Okay, no need to be an ass about it. Fuck. By the way, is that the great and mighty Mikhail Bakunin as your avi?
    And I'm just going to say that, sure, anarchy is the goal, but if I had the choice to make people's life better by voting or say, "I'm an anarchist, so I'm not going to care," I would choose to vote. I see where you're coming from, but I hope you see where I'm coming from.

9. Rabbit

Rabbit Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 26, 2009

Their music is annoying, immature, and empty of any sort of deeper meaning. Can't stand it. I'd rather listen to Rancid. Ew.

They're not as bad as some bands, but they're very commercial and songs like "Idiot Son of an Asshole" don't do much for me.

DisgorNoise likes this.
  10. bletheringvegan

bletheringvegan Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 3, 2009

If they play them in a bar and I'm very drunk I will dance because they were one of the first "punk" bands I got into.

BUT - Fat Mike is such a fucking douche and punkvoter was a spineless joke and no more than a platform for the Demon-crats. Some of the things I've read Fat Mike saying in interviews, such as "I'm glad Bush was voted in again, because otherwise I wouldn't have anything to be angry about anymore" (or something to that effect), show just how much he has actually thought about his "message". They are just another pop-punk band who got on the anti-war wagon and didn't have the guts to see it through to it's logical conclusion (i.e. anti-capitalism/anarchism).

Saying that, I own a few of their records that I won't give away, they do provide some drunken relief, and it's at least something I can tolerate when I have non political friends over who like some punk music.

11. PsychoHyena

PsychoHyena Active Member Forum Member

Dec 11, 2009

So what if they lack some sort of deep meaning? Life most certainly does and the vast majority of us go on suffering through it. You can't be serious all the fucking time. For those who do come off as rather dull and pompous. I enjoy NOFX just as i enjoy nonsensical bands like THE TOY DOLLS. Simply put there music is fun to pogo along with and at times cover in the midst of a 'serious' set.

12. vectoman

Dec 5, 2009

Well said!! Who cares if they're serious?

And no, they don't have anarchists views but who cares, listen to their music because its fun and enjoyable.

13. Jeff Bones

Jeff Bones Member Forum Member

Dec 10, 2009

Im a BIG FAN of NOFX, Like there one of my top 5 bands, but I agree they've sold out, and yeah there not anarchist or anything, but who gives 2 shits, i dont limit my music to what the band believes in or not, I've got over 12000 Songs on my ipod, and personally i've got a bit of like everything, its mostly punk music, followed by metal, then i've got sum like hard rock, and soo on and soo forth, but I believe NOFX are great!!!

14. bletheringvegan

bletheringvegan Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 3, 2009

The question wasn't about "fun music" it was about NOFX. It's not that I don't listen to non-political music, I do. I listen to a lot of Fat Wreck stuff etc. I like Consumed, Lagwagon, some Mad Caddies even. And the Lawrence Arms are definitely one of my all time favourite bands, along with Brendan Kellys side project The Falcon. Excellent stuff. I'm also a big fan of SNFU, and they don't have a political bone in their body.

I like a lot of NOFX songs, but Fat Mike really irritates me so it kinda ruins the music for me, lol.

15. The Anarchrist

Dec 11, 2009

LOL. Well cool. See, I haven't really read much about Fat Mike. I only know NOFX by their music and the message I was referring to is the messages that I hear in their songs. Like in Pods and Gods, it just says, at least to me, I don't know if there are supernatural or extra-terrestrial shit, I'm just going to focus on the problems of the earth and try to fix that.

16. The Anarchrist

Dec 11, 2009

I haven't heard them yet. SO their better? I'll check them out. I know Fat Mike is in it but thats all.

17. vectoman

Dec 5, 2009

Me First and the Gimme Gimmies > NOFX

18. vectoman

Dec 5, 2009

They just cover old songs, like Billy Joel and the Beatles. They were the first punk band I had ever heard, my dad got me Blowin' In The Wind when I was in like 4th or 5th grade (I'm a junior in high school now)

19. The Anarchrist

Dec 11, 2009

Cool, cool. I'm going to be a junior next week. LOL. I just need to get one more credit and I become a junior. I go to an alternative high school, so there aren't many people and no extra-curricular activities, but its work at your own pace, so I'm flyin' through. My dad introduced me to punk when I was a little kid. I grew up with it, but didn't really get into it until high school. First band I heard had to be either the Sex Pistols or the Clash. One or the other, I'm sure.

20. PsychoHyena

PsychoHyena Active Member Forum Member

Dec 11, 2009

Well those are my feelings on them. I Enjoy them because they are a fun band to listen too. The rest of my post was just sorta' an angsty filler i suppose.