Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Alcoholics/ Narcotics Anonymous

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by A Better World, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

Lets see... never went to AA or NA or GA, i dont have an addictive personality, like 75 percent of the US, ive done all sorts of drugs (a 'you name it, ive done it' kinda experience here), some bad, some amazing but never died, never got addicted etc.. Lost friends to drugs, but have seen others recover through Rehab (30 day clinics, not AA's or anything). If it works for you to keep yourself "clean", then good for you i guess.

Now that youve worked on your drug problem, maybe you can shake your addiction of buying, spending and shitting on the planet?

2. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    Right, you've never been and your statement is false, as I explained earlier in this thread what they mean by god and higher power.

3. Carlos

Carlos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 1, 2010

Vegetarian Barbarian u have officially reached 666 posts! :thumbsup:

4. Wonder138

Wonder138 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 2, 2009

AA/NA is basically a program with a primary purpose to stay sober and to help other alcoholic/addicts to achieve sobriety threw working the steps(help change your self and deal with life without having to do drugs or drink
    we believe that alcoholism and addiction is a disease tho its hard as fuck to get threw not every one makes it very long they say 1/10 don't stay sober
    iv been in AA/NA for about 3 years now and i have 6 months sober yeah i dint get it right of the back but it fucking works if you can listen to what they have to say

5. OmManiPadmeHum

OmManiPadmeHum Member Forum Member

Sep 25, 2010

The way you presented it, it seems that it is more open to interpretation. So, sure, you can go anywhere, you can go to church and someone will speak about god or a higher power; god could mean anything to you. But does that mean it should be court ordered for someone to listen to it? Or court ordered or not, should someone who is trying to overcome an addiction (vulnerable) be told they are powerless under their addiction and god is the answer? Personally, I don't think that's what is best for everyone... or perhaps anyone.
    Perhaps it depends on who is running the meeting but I've gone over some AA literature, briefly, and it is not what you describe :/

6. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

DirtyRottenThrashPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2010

If someone ACTUALLY needs rehab and it isn't for profit, that's good...but unfortunately, the general publi has no real understanding of 99% of drugs so they think if you're in possession you MUST be an addict. Shit, I've almost had to go to rehab before, and have had some drug counseling, and while it is true that I've had some kinda bad periods, right now I smoke weed just like...whenever it happens to show up, drink rarely, shit, I can even moderate tobacco.

7. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    Ok then let's hear some better ideas.

8. Mohicantunes

Mohicantunes New Member New Member

Jan 25, 2011

While it's not for everyone, being in "the rooms" has saved my life, 100%. That may sound cultish or evangelical, but I am only saying what's worked for me. What you do on your own is up to you, and AA/NA/OA (Overeaters Anonymous, the program I'm in) aren't for everybody.

Although I'm not an alcoholic, I am addicted to certain foods. As a friend put it, "I couldn't stop myself from starting, and once I started I couldn't stop." I would overeat throughout the day (on sugary dessert items, peanut butter, etc.) and binge over depression, self-hatred, self-pity, etc. I ate food out of friends' pantry jars with my fingers, food off the floor, and thought that food was the solution to any problem, such as illness, fatigue, etc. In addition to compulsively overeating, I eventually started restricting through undereating, as well as practicing exercise bulimia. I thought my life would be perfect if I was thin and I was willing to do anything for it. In the process I was killing myself although I couldn't acknowledge it, although I did think about suicide quite often. I hated myself.

As close as I am with certain punks, they just didn't understand. The typical response is, "Just stop overeating" (or drinking, snorting, etc). I need to be around with people who understand my compulsion, as no overeater would ever give advice like that to another one. That's the only thing that's worked for me.

I came to OA in a lot of pain. And yes, I was really conflicted with all the talk about spirituality. Being a punk in a room of people talking about that kinda stuff really freaked me the fuck out. Thankfully, a friend helped me to understand that OA/NA/AA doesn't tell us we have to believe in or do anything. God, religion, etc are all included in that list. All of the 12 Steps are suggestions, nothing more. (I support all people who have struggled with addictions, whether they're in a program or not.) Thus, it is not a religious program. However, I do agree that a lot of the writings do have a Judeo-Christian overtone which I could never get behind. Not all of them do, but some, but my sponsor has encouraged me to "take what I like and leave the rest." There are a good amount of aethiests, agnostics, and just non-religious people in the rooms, which was good news for me.

The posts on this board about 12 Step groups being autonomous is completely true. There's no "boss", no rulebook, everyone has an equal say, there is a reverse pyramid of a "service" structure, it's self-supporting (the only money that's made is put back into the group to help newcomers), and groups are autonomous.

Again, the 12 Steps are not for everyone, and I sympathize with people who have had their struggles with addiction and the program itself. I'm just really grateful not to be overeating and hating myself today. And yes, I'm still a fucking punk and not some religious freak.

9. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

If it's working for you and you're happy with it, keep at it. Good luck :)

10. antitude420

antitude420 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 16, 2010

Moderation is the key. Just remember that...

I regularly smoke weed, drink some brew and ocasionally drop some acid and I still move on with my life. Imo, no one needs fucking AA or NA if you REALLY want to quit then do it. Tie yourself to a chair and throw up for 6 fucking weeks, who cares, it's your problem you don't have to share it with a bunch of people you don't know and sit there while being brainwashed...

11. JackNegativity

Nov 9, 2010

Little harsh, dude.

12. antitude420

antitude420 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 16, 2010

Just my point of view and I know heroin addicts who quit it without the help of anyone but themselves. I think that if you really put your mind to it, you can do it...
    I understand that it's very difficult but it's not impossible and you don't have to 'risk' being brainwashed.

The only encounters I had with police were because of a damn spliff, took me downtown and just tried to rape my mind with all those 'facts', fuck 'em.

13. JackNegativity

Nov 9, 2010

An opinion is just that--an opinion. You can't really know the minds of every person who's ever had an addiction. Sure some people find the strength to quit on their own, but everyone just isn't the same you know?

What if someone WANTS to get clean but just can't muster the sheer willpower it takes to just stop? Should they just wait and see if they find it (living a life they hate, leading to depression and further use) or maybe just die? Or should they seek out help in some form? Maybe not nessesarily AA/NA/OA or anything religious, but something?

What are your thoughts on someone who DOES go to AA/NA/OA and is able to disregard the religious parts and is satisfied with the support they're receiving?

14. Mohicantunes

Mohicantunes New Member New Member

Jan 25, 2011

That was my experience- no matter how hard I tried to stop overeating on my own I could not do it. I would always go on periods of being clean and then go back. It was a vicious cycle. Maybe some people can quit on their own, but I am certainly not one of those people.

And no I don't go to church.

15. slother

slother Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 27, 2011

S.O.S (Secular Organized Sobriety) recovery is way better then NA or AA its just not as well known and there arent as many meetings as the others

16. PunkRockAnarchy_666

PunkRockAnarchy_666 Member Forum Member

Jan 25, 2012

AA/NA is good for people that have fucked up lives my dad has been going for six years and he's doing fine now .