Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

peace, love and anarchy

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by Cosmic citizen, Nov 28, 2012.

1. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    I completely agree Birthday pony...a media march is pointless, recruiting new anarchists should also be shunned, the only way to enlighten people to the possibilities that anarchism offers for them personally is through direct action, revolutionary actions are hard work, much harder work than marching in a demonstration that will more than likely be portrayed as silly and negative by the very media they are courting.

2. Birthday Pony

Birthday Pony Member Forum Member

Nov 23, 2012

Why is it that you think recruiting new anarchists should be shunned? Do you mean in the sense of just convincing people to be anarchists versus getting people to act with anarchists?

3. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    We don't actively recruit people into believing in anarchism, that is a manipulation best left to other ideologies as a form of colonialism, during occupy we were initially resented and feared among liberals tied to the movement...we showed through our actions what we were about and one year later it is amazing to see many of those same people refer to themselves as anarchists...but we never recruit, leave that to the fascists. There are many writings on this anarchist tradition and the reasons behind this way of thinking....I'll try to find you some links.

4. nclpw

nclpw Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 25, 2012

remember remember, the 5th of november.

Honestly not getting any "requiting new soldiers"-vibes from this. All demonstrations are to "open up peoples eyes", are you saying there is no point in demonstrating anymore? I think you`re over-analyzing this. This is just as much an important part of the "movement" or whatever I`m allowed to call it, as volunteering and actually showing that/how it works.

5. Birthday Pony

Nov 23, 2012

I get what you're saying. I just misunderstood for a second. I completely agree.

I think punkmar is saying that we should let people become anarchists, not convince them to follow a party line or some shit. We take action, get things done, and that reaches people. Marching for shit's sake is a different kind of beast.

6. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States

remember remember the 19th of July 1936! Not Guy Fawkes pathetic attempt at establishing a Catholic dictatorship in England...

Never said demonstrations aren't important, and I pointed out the recruiting stance because the original poster and several others commented on it...just pointing out that a rally for the sake of convincing people and the media in general that we are not what the media and the general population perceive us to be is a waste of time.

7. nclpw

nclpw Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 25, 2012

Haha that was just a wild guess. I don`t know their real reason for choosing that date, or much about Guy Fawkes at all.

And you`re right, I don`t think going out deliberately trying to recruit people is the way to go, I still don`t see whats wrong with this march though.

8. Cosmic citizen

Cosmic citizen Member New Member

Nov 17, 2012

This march has nothing to do with recruiting or getting some sort of media or anything like that. Just the fact that we are standing outside the capitol voicing our ideas and voicing what is really going on behind the curtain of this system. Honestly the goal in our minds is to, if there is a media coverage weather it be good or bad which theres in no part of our minds that will think the media coverage will be good, in fact we believe that the media will portray us as vile chaotic idealists, but it doesn't matter what they portray us as, the fact is the message will get out the and yes some people may look at us as fucked up idealists but others may open the eyes and weather that be right when they hear it or later down the road when they remember reading about it and decide to do more research into it. This march isn't supposed to start a revolution or start something drastic, its simply so the federal government knows who we are and hopefully if the word gets out there well enough in the next year, how many of us are sick of their bull shit. The reason we are already starting to post about this march is so that people who have children either a. Can get a sitter, or b. we can get people to come out and help us with child care, and the people who work, well they could take a day off. Honestly we should all work together, because you are right volunteer work is a very important part of the movement, but so are demonstrations and marches, they all lead up to the same thing and all that is is opening peoples eyes to our cause in a way thats not forcing anyone to thing the way we do. Anarchy is the freest for of human society possibly and you are correct it is everyones choice but the problem is, is a lot of people are brainwashed in a sense that they haven't open up there mind and questioned authority and all we are doing is exposing the truths in a peaceful way but also in a way that will address not only the people but all of the politicians as well. We support in every single way volunteering and showing people the kindness of our movement we think that is a good idea and currently are setting up similar things here, this is just an extra thing that we have been wanting to do for the past few years that finally we are setting in stone and letting everyone else know about it. The more people that show up to the march, the more power the march is going to have on the rest of the country. The best weapon in a revolution is just revealing the truth to the public eye. Remember the bank of america crash? We (no names) made that possible, how? Just by revealing the truth to the public about what the bank of america was doing. That is our goal for this whole thing, just to reveal the truth. On hopefully a large scale march. And that is just one of many.

9. Birthday Pony

Nov 23, 2012

Anarchists generally do direct action rather than symbolic action. We don't protest "to get the message out." We actually affect a situation by stopping conferences, slowing down capitalism, striking, occupying, etc., etc. Didn't Bakunin say something like "our message will be our actions"?

I mean, why go to the capitol just to let people know you exist? Don't you think you could do something more effective with 5000 anarchists all in DC?

10. THEBLACKNOVA

THEBLACKNOVA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    Propaganda By the Deed?

11. THEBLACKNOVA

THEBLACKNOVA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    @ Birthday Pony are you really in Detroit? Are there a lot of community gardens popping up? Whats going down in detroit that could be considered propaganda by the deed? I have been reading that there are quite a few community gardens all over the city, and people opening up abandoned houses. Opening up community gardens or opening up and renovating houses with with non anarchists, thats what kinda propaganda of the deed i'm talking about. ;)

I have been wanting to go to detroit and stay there for a while and see what was going on there :D

12. Birthday Pony

Nov 23, 2012

Detroit's been doing community gardens-- actually what just started as gardening for food on the empty lot next to your house-- for a lot longer than the current narrative suggests, at least since the 80s. Ever since this whole "Detroit's on a comeback!" or "Detroit is a blank slate!" narrative popped up corporate, yuppie ventures have come into town and completely distorted the old horizontally organized community gardens into top-down corporate owned community gardens, with only the thinnest veil of community.

Squatting has always happened in Detroit. It's full of homeless and empty homes. It has not been your typical anarchists taking over a house and turning it into an infoshop type squatting. It's been single-mothers, junkies, and orphaned siblings.

I do think these things are "propaganda by the deed" (even though lots of people think fire needs to be involved for that), and I don't think you need to loudly declare yourself an anarchist to act on these principles and be what I consider an ally. I'm lucky enough to live in a pretty strong neighborhood here where we practice a lot of mutual aid every day, and lots of neighborhoods across Detroit act similarly.

However, it is not a romantic place. We are not a bunch of idealists (well, not openly ;) ) dreaming big. We're people surviving. If you come to Detroit with a predetermined narrative, you'll most likely be met with inhospitality or flat out hostility. But, if you come willing to learn and are pretty down to earth, then most folks will be happy to have you. It's a weird predicament. The city always borders on gentrification, but never quite gets there. So there's a lot of internal struggles (finding food by gardening, teaching each other skills, making music for each other), and external struggles on top of it (fighting gentrification, stopping 'development,' and fighting evictions).

Those things are what I consider direct action. Sometimes direct action means going to DC to stop policies that will destroy our community. Sometimes direct action means teaching each other how to garden. And sometimes direct action means beating the fuck out of the dude who stole your friend's wallet.

13. Cosmic citizen

Cosmic citizen Member New Member

Nov 17, 2012

Yea man were from grand rapids area. We have alot of the same problems, not on such a large scale of course but i support you all over the, stay strong.

14. piss-off

piss-off New Member New Member

Aug 13, 2014

I've always found Gandhi's tactic very effective. If we show people who our rulers really are and how corrupt our goverment is and collectively get everyone to stop participating in their game. Instead of working for money have people work to help each other out. It will put all of them corporate scum bags and politicians out of power over night. Civil disobedience is the most peaceful and powerful tool.