Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Anarchism Frequently Asked Questions / Anarchism for beginners

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by ungovernable, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

A friend of mine asked me to share some good books and infopages on economy in anarcho society, mutualism and collectivism and since I'm not a very good reader and I'm lazy, I thought you might have something to recommend ( hopefully, it will be simple to understand since english is not his good side). I glanced at FAQ, but i don't think that's what he's searching for. I don't think he needs books that critisize todays economy, but which give examples of alternetive economy.

Cheers !

2. Caps

Caps Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2010

http://infoshop.org/page/AnarchistFAQSectionI

Part three and some of four should be informative to your friend. Also, there are plenty of introductory books, such as The Beginner's Guide edited by Ruth Kinna. That book has lots of references of where to look next too, which might be helpful. It depends how much detail you want as well.

3. Imjustassickasyoubelieve

Imjustassickasyoubelieve Member Forum Member

Jan 6, 2013

government only serves to strengthen itself while it destroys the freedom, happiness and creativity of the people it governs.

P.S. Fuck that shit

4. LaLucha

LaLucha Active Member Forum Member

Jan 2, 2013

Where do you guys get those books from? I've seen a handful of related texts being sold at Barnes and Nobles, but why the hell would I want to support a chain run by mindless dolts? (granted it is really fun going in there and posting stickers that say "No Gods, No Masters" on the shelves.)

5. THEBLACKNOVA

THEBLACKNOVA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    HAHA the shit available in mall shops if any is some celeb authors writing or finding something interesting to for liberals... Here are two links for tons of books and Zines that will keep your head busy and critical thinking working and growing...

and this shit is free 99 :D

1. The Anarchist Library: http://theanarchistlibrary.org

2. Zine Library: http://zinelibrary.info

6. LaLucha

LaLucha Active Member Forum Member

Jan 2, 2013

Very informative! Thank you for the links!

7. dee2211

dee2211 Member Forum Member

Apr 11, 2014

Thanx for sharing this. I will share this to newbie kids around. We plan to establish a new scene, and hope this knowledge will useful to build their understanding on anarcho-punx

punkmar77 likes this.
  8. Anarchowithoutcapitalism

Anarchowithoutcapitalism Active Member Forum Member

Feb 4, 2018
    California, United States  United States
    "A friend of mine asked me to share some good books and infopages on economy in anarcho society, mutualism and collectivism and since I'm not a very good reader and I'm lazy, I thought you might have something to recommend ( hopefully, it will be simple to understand since english is not his good side). I glanced at FAQ, but i don't think that's what he's searching for. I don't think he needs books that critisize todays economy, but which give examples of alternetive economy.

Cheers !"

Here is a brief list of books and some general info on different anarchist alternative economies to capitalism:

Most Anarchists whether Individualists (like Warren and Tucker), Mutualists (Proudhon), Collectivist (Bakunin) held the labor theory of value. Capitalism is a competitive market system that holds a subjective theory of value that does not factor labor into the price of a product. Regarding the labor theory of value if employers pay their workers less than the general value (that includes labor) in the price of their product (assuming the labor theory of value is the main economic system put in place) they are then exploited. Capitalism does not in general factor labor into the price of their products hence it is an exploitive system and huge gaps between the rich and poor are created. Marx it should be noted also agreed with this analysis. He called exploitation surplus value or unearned income.

What are Anarchist alternatives? There are 4 main types of Anarchism: Individualist, Mutualist, Collectvist, and Communist. It should be noted both Individualist and Mutualist economies retain free market economics but they reatain the labor theory of value and therefore are non-exploitive and because they are non-exploitive they are therefore anti-capitalist and so they are part of Anarchist theory as such.

Individualist Anarchism: This type of economy retains employers on a free market however it is an anti-capitalist free market because the employers in an individualist anarchy would pay their workers the full value of their labor on the market. Books for this system include Josiah Warren the First American Anarchist by William Bailie. Another Individualist Anarchy book would be Instead of A Book by Benjamin Tucker.

Mutualist Anarchism: This type of economy retains a competitive market but all companies are run in a co-operative or democratic manner. Books for this system include General Idea of Revolution in the Nineteenth Century by Pierre Joseph Proudhon.

Collectivist Anarchism: This is a non-market system where all workplaces are run democratically. Products are sent to the local community Banks of Exchange for consumption and wages for all occupations are voted on by the local community. Books for this system includes Bakunin on Anarchy by Sam Dolgoff.

Communist Anarchism: I believe Kropotkin was critical of the labor theory of value however he wanted to have a system without exchange in general where all products are free for the local community members and all workplaces are run democratically. Books for this system include Fields Factories and Workshops by Peter Kropotkin.

Apologies for any generalizations and as others have stated on this thread the An Anarchist FAQ is top quality. Hope this info is useful for study in different types of ecnomics!

9. Arctic

Arctic New Member New Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Mexico  Mexico
    Malatesta supposedly wrote, "impossibility never prevented anything from happening",(it's stoic logic...) but I can't find where he wrote this. I've read a lot of his work and I am still searching for that letter, correspondence or dialogue that contains this quote.

Does anyone know?