Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

SxE, Vegetarianism, Veganism

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by Outlaw_(A)_Punk, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Outlaw_(A)_Punk

Outlaw_(A)_Punk Member Forum Member

Sep 15, 2009

What do you think about these topics?

I for my part, I'm Straight and vegetarian. In future i'll try to become more and more vegan. At the moment I don't have time to worry if something is vegan or not. For me anti-capitalist activism is more important.
    I'm straight edge because i don't need this bullshit called drugs or stuff like that. Last but not least i love my girlfriend a lot ;) It's just my lifestyle, i didn't have to change much to become an edger.

2. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    I don't drink alcohol, i hate that shit (yeah i'm weird). But i do smoke a lot of hash hehe..

I have nothing against straight edge, of course. It's a lifestyle i admire.

Only exception to this: some elitist sectarian retards like "Friends Stand United" crew in boston who beats up everyone who smoke pot and drink alcohol.... Fuck these idiots

I'm not vegetarian, but i consume only a little meat. I have my reasons.

3. Outlaw_(A)_Punk

Sep 15, 2009

Yes I've heard about them too. I agree with you it's bullshit. Straight edge is something you do for yourself, it's not about tell peoble what they have to do. (like some religions...)

What reasons?

4. Extinction

Extinction Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 1, 2009

I used to be pretty hardcore SxE, but I chose not to adhere to the label. I still choose not to do drugs or drink, I just call myself "clean" As for veganism and whatnot, I eat meat, but lately, I'm thinking of changing that, it doesn't seem good to me anymore.

So my question is, how hard was it for you guys to switch over to being a vegetarian? And what tips can you give me to help start? Thanks.

5. Outlaw_(A)_Punk

Sep 15, 2009

For me it wasn't hard at all to become vegetarian, because i nearly don't like any meat. My tip is to do it step by step. So you have time to search an alternative for everything you don't eat anymore.

In my language there are a lot of forums about veganism with tips and vegan receipts. I guess there are in your language too..

6. xnkx

xnkx New Member New Member

Oct 1, 2009

NYC Sat.Oct. 3rd - EDGE, Perspectives on drug free culture (THE MOVIE)

EDGE, Perspectives on drug free culture

WORLD PREMIERE this Saturday Oct. 3rd 8:pM

Helen Mills Theatre 137-139 West 26th Street NYC 10001
    FOR TICKETS https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=7928567

MORE INFO: http://www.theedgeprojectmovie.com/

28 years after the band Minor Threat released the song ‘Straight Edge’, the counterculture known as Straight Edge has become a worldwide phenomenon that unites individuals rejecting all forms of intoxication.
    The most widely associated perception of Straight Edge involves abstinence from alcohol, tobacco, other drugs and promiscuous sex. Since it’s origin in the early 1980’s these beliefs have spread all over the world, connected through the Punk and Hardcore music scenes.
    Through interviews with musicians that directly shaped the idea of Straight Edge from its inception until today,EDGE – perspectives on drug free culture reveals that the abstinence from drugs was established as a youth counter culture rejecting a society dominated by substance abuse and hegemony.
    Ian MacKaye (Minor Threat, Fugazi), Ray Cappo (Youth of Today, Shelter) and Karl Buechner (Earth Crisis, Freya) give witness to their perception of the history of Straight Edge, why it was so important to them and what it changed in their personal and professional careers. But they also address problems like violence, sexism and intolerance that emerged within Straight Edge, and how it changed the ’scene’ as well as its public image.
    Furthermore, EDGE explores the lives of 9 individuals, that identify as Straight Edge. Their reasons range from negative experiences with drugs to maintaining a healthy lifestyle to political reasons. Through a very close and personal look into their daily lives, we see how their decision to live ‘poison free’ has changed the world for them.
    But how do people discover Straight Edge? How do women experience Straight Edge subculture? What social backgrounds are shared by people new to the scene and what makes someone turn Straight Edge? How does mainstream culture perceive this movement?
    EDGE is looking for answers to these questions on a roadtrip behind and beyond the scenes of the Straight Edge subculture.

XXX
    :rock:

[​IMG]

7. Extinction

Extinction Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 1, 2009

Thanks, I think I'm going to start with some reading on the topic first. I appreciate the advice. :)

8. xnkx

xnkx New Member New Member

Oct 1, 2009

9. oluap666

oluap666 New Member New Member

Oct 1, 2009

i totally agree, and im edge
    people in my town who dont know shit about edge and claim to be it really give it a bad rep cuz of stuff like this

10. belA

belA Member Forum Member

Sep 15, 2009

i'm not a sXe but i don't have any problem with edges... but i know i can control myself when i use drug or drink alcohol, if i see i can't control myself, i can stop this.

also i'm vegeterian, a very though ones :D and i'm happy with this.

11. xxlizzyloserxx

xxlizzyloserxx New Member New Member

Sep 5, 2009

I'm vegan and straight edge. I'm straight edge because I've seen too many people I know and care about fuck up their lives due to drugs and alcohol and I don't want to disappoint the people I care about they way they do to me. I've had people die on me and it's not something I take lightly. I don't like to force my opinions on anyone but I will share it.
    I'm vegan because I can't stand to see anything suffer, I don't believe we should make animals to use and abuse as we see fit. They are not our tools, they have feelings just like us, they may now express it like we do but that doesn't mean they don't exsist. They can still suffer. If we ever expect to stop fighting and killing each other over stupid shit we have to stop fueling our lives with death.

12. rudimentarymydearpeni

rudimentarymydearpeni Member New Member

Sep 9, 2009

Hello. I happen to have switched from vegetarian to vegan, to neither (i got pregnant and decided it would be best for the health of the baby) and now I am back to being a vegetarian. And I agree with you, I don't necessarily have the time or the energy, not to mention the money...It gets pretty expensive to be a vegan.

And as far as drugs/alcohol, I used to be pretty big on alcohol, but mainly while I was in high school to kind of make me calm down and sort of "function" properly because I had bad social anxiety, and I would get panic/anxiety attacks during class. So you could say I was dependent on it. Once I got pregnant I stopped drinking and anything else that would endanger the health of the baby.

Now I'm happy and healthy...Still with the occasional panic/anxiety attack, but that's subsided greatly since high school.

:ecouteurs:

13. NGNM85

NGNM85 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

In the past few years I've seen dramatic growth in the fanatical vegans/ radical "animal rights" or primativists , it seems like it's really surging. Personally, this leaves me dismayed and depressed. It seems like the movement is being co-opted by the Broccoli Brigade. This is taking energy, attention, and resources away from opposing the war, human rights, etc. It almost seems like a coup within the radical left, Anarchism, in particular.

14. hanarcho

hanarcho Active Member Forum Member

Sep 24, 2009

For me, I don't drink or do drugs...but I do smoke like a lot. It's a habit that's hard to curb. I admire edgers. Haha. I'm vegetarian and I aim to be vegan one day. Being vegetarian is much easier than not smoking. Any tips on how to quit smoking?

15. statuliber

statuliber Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 13, 2009

I'm also living vegan and in without drugs and stuff, call myself straight edge, but I've got problem with this people who want to forbid promiscuous sex... I think that has nothing to do with straight edge (yeah I know it also appeared in Minor Threat songs)! though it depends what one understands as promiscous sex (drunken sex without condom? yeah that sounds pretty bad to me).

16. ebbtide

ebbtide Member Forum Member

Aug 31, 2009

straight edge? na not me - although the more I see the more I do wonder about it. Not that I really do any drugs anymore and I only drink now and again...had a few friends die - I think that's what made me want something different for my kids.
    I fairly recently became a vegetarian and would like to try for vegan in the future. For me it's quite hard as it's not just for me, it's for my whole family and as my youngest child is only 14months old it's pretty hard to find foods that keep him healthy that he will eat that also fit the vegetarian/vegan bill. I know it's going to be a long process for my whole family so we're doing it slow. We grow veggies in our backyard and the kids like that kind of thing.......
    as for 'taking energy ....from opposing the war' - I guess it depends on how you look at it and how you cope with your surroundings, you have more than one belief don't you? Why can't you have both? It's like chewing gum and walking ;) I understand that you are saying NGNM85 that it takes the focus away but you know what - people have more than one facet to their lives, maybe some decide to put 'vegan' above 'people' - but it's all about free choice right? On the other hand I can see your personal point of view in that it brings you down - keep up the fight, we need people to care for people

17. HayMarket8

HayMarket8 Member New Member

Oct 2, 2009

"In the past few years I've seen dramatic growth in the fanatical vegans/ radical "animal rights" or primativists , it seems like it's really surging. Personally, this leaves me dismayed and depressed. It seems like the movement is being co-opted by the Broccoli Brigade. This is taking energy, attention, and resources away from opposing the war, human rights, etc. It almost seems like a coup within the radical left, Anarchism, in particular."

radical left? The left has nothing to do with anarchism. We are not liberals, the linear political spectrum does not apply to people who do not want a political spectrum in the first place.

While you are fighting for your human-centered "rights" of social justice, gay marriage, peace, civil liberties, - the earth is still dieing. There are no rights on a dead planet. Period. The anti-civilization community is fighting (generally speaking) for the survival of the planet at whatever the cost.

Fighting for the trivial humanistic "rights" is not addressing any issues. Rights are a privilege given to privileged people by the people in power to pacify them into servility. We do not need rights, equality, peace, etc. We need freedom and it will not be given.

No more scraps from the masters table.

18. erreur_humaine

erreur_humaine Member Forum Member

Oct 2, 2009

19. NGNM85

Sep 8, 2009

This is a goofy idea. Even if all other political ideologies vanished from the earth, there would still be a political spectrum. It might be more scientifically expressed in the four point libertarian, authoritarian, etc. compass-type chart than a simple right-left line, but this is pretty trivial.

You've really done a marvelous job of proving my point. On May Day or whatever we need all the people we can get, but any SANE anarchist should do everything possible to distance themselves from the kind of insanity you're expressing.

20. NGNM85

Sep 8, 2009

This is a goofy idea. Even if all other political ideologies vanished from the earth, there would still be a political spectrum. It might be more scientifically expressed in the four point libertarian, authoritarian, etc. compass-type chart than a simple right-left line, but this is pretty trivial.

This implies animal "rights" are equal to humans which is a patently absurd idea.

What was I doing wasting my time pushing for gay marriage (Which we got.), decriminalization of marijuana, (Got that, too.), ending the war, freeing the people of Tibet, and so forth? I don't know where I got such crazy ideas. That was sarcasm, in case you couldn't tell.

This is probably the only thing you've said that is not crazy and that I can agree with. Protecting the environment is very important. Oh, and it's "dying."

"Anti-civilization"? Madness. What these people are calling for is MASS MURDER. The end of so called "technological society" is MASS MURDER. Even if it wasn't it still wouldn't be desireable. He's said it himself: "whatever the cost." Well, excuse me if I place a higher premium on human life. This is NOT Anarchism. It is completely devoid of humanism, or even humanity.

On a side-note I find it hilarious that the neo-luddites have such a thriving and rich internet community.

[/quote]

You've really done a marvelous job of proving my point. On May Day or whatever we need all the people we can get, but any SANE anarchist should do everything possible to distance themselves from the kind of insanity you're expressing.

...That's better.