Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

National Identity

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by robbo, Oct 19, 2013.

1. robbo

robbo New Member New Member

Oct 19, 2013

I wanted to ask what your views on this are as it's something that I've been thinking about a lot lately. As much as I despise nation states and realise that patriotism is not a natural thing but rather something that we're essentially brainwashed to believe I do still have a deep sense of Scottish identity.I don't think being Scottish makes me better than anyone else but I am very proud to be Scottish.

2. Rebellious twit

Rebellious twit Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 21, 2012

Robbo what has nationalism gained other than conflict think about the conflict in your country the english-scottish ones, because who has the right of a land, Anarchism in practice wants to break down national idenities and patriotism, it's created by the state to control you, think about George Bush for example, this patriotic nutjob brainwashed alot of americans to believe that the war in iraq was their fight for liberty and democracy what did it do?, well it gave the US a chance to control the oil in there,

I am an anti fascist with a big A, i think we need to break down the nationalities of all kind and ethnic groups

If you want to be proud of something, Then be proud to be a humanbeing living and fighting for a international movement
    Cheers Stegs :D

3. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    So you're proud to be something that is defined by borders and State because without them there would be no such thing as a country ? Are you an anarchist ?

4. Havran

Havran Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 22, 2012
     Czech Republic
    That's weird, because you say you despise borders and stuff like that, but you are proud to live in a piece of land limited by borders that you hate? :D Doesn't make much sense.
    But maybe I'm the same, only with that one difference. I'm not proud, but ashamed to be czech. Just because czech people are the biggest scum :)

5. NoGodsNoMasters38

NoGodsNoMasters38 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 17, 2013

Have to admit, that does sound a little hypocritical.

6. VeganShteve

VeganShteve Experienced Member Experienced member

Aug 15, 2012

Nations and states are not one and the same, they just tend to overlap. There are different kinds of national identity, ranging from tribal feeling to cultural appreciation to outright xenophobia. The first two seem most prevalent among people who have suffered (or whose recent ancestors have suffered) oppression and violence because of their race, identity, ethnicity, and so on. And of course, those who still do. I live in Ireland, where there is a widespread strong sense of national identity. This possibly arises from either geographic isolation, the fact that some other nationalities have a weird fetish about us, or the shared descent from victims of oppression and genocide (ehhh, "famine"?). Either way, the form it takes is not likely to fuel any fascist organisations.

On the other hand, you won't find many fans of the state, despite there not being many anarchists here. The political parties have their supporters, but no one is regarded as infallible or even particularly impressive. Any gap in a conversation can be filled by complaining about the government!

7. davidcameron

davidcameron New Member New Member

Oct 23, 2013

The peoples and nations that do not have the same, they just tend to overlap. There are several types of national identity, xenophobia of the full sense of tribal cultural appreciation. The first two people who seem to be more frequent oppression and violence based on race, identity, nationality, and so on.

8. Kobac

Kobac Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 7, 2009
     Denmark
    Malatesta said once:Brotherhood among nations , not borders.
    I think even in anarchist society there would be that "tribal affiliation" feeling...the place where were you born, patriotism but in true spirit.
    Im not proud of my nationality, and when someone asks me Who or what am I, answer would be: a human.
    What the fuck do i get from patriotism?A bullet in the head or loonie bin sooner or later.

9. luisb

luisb New Member New Member

Oct 26, 2013

borders for me it's just a "political organisation", i believe in people not countrys , i was born in portugal but nobody ask me to be a portugese , i'm alright with that, i understand the tradition of a place because the borders create a sense of identity all over the history, but that sense it's a dangerous feelling.
    i just want to be a human being in a peaceful way, and that feeling it's nothing to do with borders...the world it's my home. \m/