Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Union of punks and skinheads

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by [A.S.A.P.]Geh, May 16, 2013.

1. [A.S.A.P.]Geh

[A.S.A.P.]Geh Member Forum Member

Apr 10, 2013

2. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Well it's hard to make an opinion if you don't speak spanish. Looks like an huge load of sectarian bullshit to me.

Skinheads has a lot of common with punks : counter-culture, anti-racist roots (spirit of 69), working class ties, oi! is basically a subgenre of punk rock...
    It's sad to say that but i often find more seriously politized peoples in the antifascist skinhead than in the punk scene. A lot of punks tend to be either non-politized or just very dumb chaos punks who doesn't organise and only think about drinking beers.

In an anarchist point of view there are a lot of comrades in the skinhead scene.

However i am crticial of the skinhead movement. A lot of anti-capitalist skinheads are willing to put their ideas aside just to follow the skinhead trend like buying adidas shoes and overpriced clothes. What was once supposed to be a working class movement is not a culture where you have to buy overpriced clothes to be a "real skinhead" like fred perry, levis, adidas, lonsdale, ben shermans, etc. This is definetly not what working class spirit is supposed to be about. I also don't like how this culture has to be associated with violence and though guy acting.

But this really doesn't mean that i oppose the union of punks and skins, which would be pretty much retarded IMO. There is really no point of fighting each others. Punk & skin scene has been united since the seventies, there's no reason to fuck it up.

3. Rebellious twit

Rebellious twit Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 21, 2012

Ungovernable is right, but i think the skinhead scene is damaged because of the boneheads, its sad to see that such a subculture created for unity turns into a left vs right subculture.... :/

4. Kobac

Kobac Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 7, 2009
     Denmark
    There is irony when nazi buys and wears Levis jeans.
    Unity of skins and punks is a must if we`re going to abolish all those government elements of opression.
    We need to work together,talk more with each other.If we want to be understood we must first understand.
    Where i live there is a wrong picture about skinheads among most of punks.Down here there is no much of collaboration between these cultures.Ignorance and misinformation are biggest problems around here that causes a separation of skins and punks.

5. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    There is irony in all nazis "skinheads". Skinhead is a subculture built over the unity with jamaican ska and multiculturalism.

Also ironic to see them wearing Lonsdale clothes, a company started by a black man.

6. xXZenyattaXx

xXZenyattaXx Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 29, 2012

Eh, *doesn't speak spanish* I guess I can't be friends with people who are bald and/or work and/or listen to oi? Fuck that!

....more disturbing, to me, is the idea that there are two "tribes" (one called punks, one called skins). In order to belong, you have to listen to x bands and wear x clothes. You can only belong to one tribe at a time, and we should either work together to "unite" the tribes or not, whatever the fuck unite means. As for me, I never stopped being myself...... and I'm going to hang out with whomever I fucking please, whenever it pleases me and wear whatever the fuck I want.

Focusing solely on what constitutes the essence of a label cheapens the reason for adopting one...

7. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    No, there are skunks :p skinhead-punks

8. xXZenyattaXx

xXZenyattaXx Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 29, 2012

*mind blown*

9. Danarchy

Danarchy Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 16, 2012
     Canada
    It is easy to run the article through a translation program to get an idea of the intention of the author.

Having been involved in the Skinhead scene from '88 to '96 and a member of SHARP then RASH while also being a member of ARA and Antifa and now just being bald, I guess they would choose not to be my friend :'( However, one point that needs to be made is that subcultures are irrelevant. Whether you identify yourself as a punk, skin, hippy, whatever is not important. What is important is how you interpret and react to the world around you. I have met many who could be called 'normal' or more appropriately 'socially acceptable' who through their actions are anarchist without critique, than those who Ihave met that would identify themselves as anarchists who are without action or critique.

Anarchists are generally socially marginalised and within subcultures fairly ghetto'ised. To pick and choose who we align ourselves with based on clothes, music or something equally shallow only serves to marginalise the ideas we profess to hold dear even further.

10. traqn dimitrov

traqn dimitrov Active Member Forum Member

Mar 7, 2013
     Bulgaria
    to be honest a reunion between skins and punks would be fuckin' awesome but where i live (bulgaria) there are almost only racist skins and i've heard of a small cell of red and anarchist but for now it's just a rumor