Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

School System

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by Raise Your Fist, Apr 29, 2010.

1. psym0d

psym0d Member New Member

Aug 21, 2014

High school is pretty much horrible, classes about ethics and religion, and history classes full of propaganda. I even had a teacher who was heavy on telling us how voting every 4 years is important haha. I dropped out when I was like 16. I went to adults school about a year and a half after dropping out. It was ok there, all I had to do was to write arguments about graffiti for french class and doing math (I love math).

Then I studied one year at some kind of college (cégep du vieux Montréal for those who know the area) in a computer science program that was pretty much training us to work for small corporations. Going to that school was where I learned what a student union was all about, and also where I encountered my first feminist and anarchist literature. It was fun but the administration of that college are fucking mean bastards who hate their students. I'm a trans guy so my legal papers and my actual identity are contradicting each other. The school never wanted to accommodate that even when I told them about how I was in potential danger, especially because of teachers names list. They never wanted to put my usual name on the teachers list, saying I had to legally change my name for that. Good thing all my teachers were cool people and respected me, at least. I know a bunch of other trans people who went to the same school and had the same problems with admins. Needless to say, I am never going back to that school.

I think the best way to learn is self education, we have now a great tool called the internet that makes information sharing a lot easier ^^
    Institutional schools are only useful if you want to get an decent job more easily.

2. janedoe1425

janedoe1425 Member New Member

Aug 24, 2014

I'm in agroculture high school right now and many of them aren't such bastards, but there are few teachers who are realy dum. But in other schools are realy bad teachers. We don't have to ware uniforms but teachers are always on a hallway and they often follow us! It's nothing big compare to stuff I read here.

3. RememberGlencoe

RememberGlencoe Experienced Member Experienced member

May 12, 2014

Welcome!

4. nodogs_nomasters

nodogs_nomasters Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    High school was nothing short of a programing system. Hated every second of it. Never got in trouble, graduated just fine, but hated it with every fiber of by being. They could search your belongings for any reason. We had no rights to our personal property. Drug dogs came on campus and sniffed out backpacks for weed at random. Rallies to worship the sports teams were mandatory. All the bells and whistles of an Orwellian hivemind.
    I actually enjoy some of my classes in college, though. It helps that we've got a pair of pretty bad ass anthropology teachers on the campus. I remember one of them discussing how the current high school system programs children out of higher thinking, and I jumped up because it was confirming EXACTLY what I'd felt and thought all 4 of those intrepid years. They do a whole unit on the flaws of the capitalist system. Really interesting folks. They were offered a job at Harvard but chose to stick with the community college so that they could offer their knowledge to the common people. I'm actually majoring in Anthropology because of them.
    But yeah, school sucks, in large part.

5. janedoe1425

janedoe1425 Member New Member

Aug 24, 2014

Thank you! :)

6. DeadChannel

DeadChannel Experienced Member Experienced member

Sep 16, 2014

Where do I start?
    School pushes the idea that critisizing the school system is somehow morally wrong.
    Teachers condescend students -- always.
    When I call a teacher out for being wrong, I get in trouble. I once pointed out to a socials teacher that laos is not pronounced Leeeeeeeyos.
    Also: teachers not knowing what the fuck they're talking about.
    Sports get many times more funding than any other extra curricular activity.
    Everyone is either preppie, nerd or stoner, apparently.
    My school uses edmodo for online stuffs. Edmodo has a feature where you get to pick a favorite quote for your profile. You must choose the quote from a list of approved quotes.
    Swearing is bad because why exactly? Does anyone actually have a reason for that?
    Most teachers put in minimal effort, but they're on strike right now here.
    We have a picture of the queen of England hanging in the cafeteria, like we're supposed to pray to her.
    We are often required to leave class and go watch sporting events.
    I know a guy who was sent to the office for saying "YOLO". Yolo is stupid, but it's not profane or anything.
    We don't have a uniform, but we have a dress code, which is like saying "you have the freedom to look however you want, as long as you all look the same"
    Everyone looks and thinks the same, or is an outsider.
    Teachers make us watch disney movies some days as a treat. Children's films that are patronizing to us in almost every way.
    If you don't like it, you're wrong.

7. Politicalchaos

Politicalchaos New Member New Member

Apr 18, 2015

The school system only tells you how to be an automaton. In addition to obey the government, then what kind of future give a country ?. The conformism maybe. or be one more that has the balls to say no. I think the schools will Focus particularly on critical thinking DEVELOP \m/ and the ones that thinks different are discriminated, people who can change the way you think. The uniform and religion class are bullshit, the society fuck your mind but we will never surrender. This website is a explotion of learning and knowledge of other people, who help you to continue your way of thinking.

8. RememberGlencoe

RememberGlencoe Experienced Member Experienced member

May 12, 2014

Hello Politicalchaos, welcome to the site! :D

9. (A)NOW

(A)NOW Active Member Forum Member

Jan 12, 2015

When I think about education and Anarchism, the first person I think about is; Francisco Ferrer

He believed in a education without religion or authority. This meant teachers where not your average, "LEARN THIS.. DO THIS.. DON'T DO THAT", In fact, it was the opposite. He believed children have a innate passion to learn. but (even now) at our current school system, children/ young adults have to learn the "social standards" and alternative lifestyles are preserved as not essential and often completely looked down upon.

So I ask this...

WHY!!?? Why do we have to learn things that in the grand scheme of things DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER

Test scores, test scores, test scores. .. that's ALL that

Teachers at Ferrer's school weren't interested in social prepping and other farce ideas. Whatever the child wanted to learn, the "teacher" gave support. Never orders

If anyone is interested in a alternative education; A self education. Check out Francisco Ferrer

10. Music4theDeaf

Music4theDeaf Member Forum Member

Apr 5, 2015

never heard of him. thanks for the info mate

11. (A)NOW

(A)NOW Active Member Forum Member

Jan 12, 2015

Your welcome . I hope more Anarchist or like minded people research Francisco Ferrer