Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Confess your consumerist ways...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SurgeryXdisaster, Dec 10, 2009.

1. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

I've been thinking about it a lot lately...
    though i do not consider myself a full blown "anarchist" , I do like to think i live my life autonomously (ie. Think for myself, CHOOSE for myself, be myself with rules that i have made... you guessed it, myself.)
    How can i truly be free when every time my mp3 player breaks i have to go get a new one because my music is mostly digital.
    or when a new video game comes out i feel like i am missing out if i dont play it.
    These companies fucking lock me in and turn me into everything that i hate.
    Material possessions cause nothing but apathy, laziness, and false fulfillment.

so here is a list of things that will one day be gone, but as long as i possess them i am lying to myself when i say that i am a free man:

Xbox 360
    iPod
    Converse hi-tops (now owned by Nike)
    Television (who cares what brand)

there has got to be more but i cant think of them right now :ecouteurs:
    please, add to this list of things that you own that contradict your beliefs
    or if you have a different opinion on the matter, do share.
    ( i feel that i haven't fully expressed myself here, but you get the idea)

2. GFSM

GFSM Experienced Member Experienced member

Oct 25, 2009

everything we consume is intrinsically "selling out" to the system, unless we grew it from a seed harvested from wildlife so to speak.

but for the sake of the topic, since i live in the CBD of a city (no usual suburban supermarket dumpsters around) when i'm broke i and i dumpster food it's usually McDonalds, since there's one just down my street. something that appalls my more fundamentalist "anarcho" friends, for what reason i have no idea. meanwhile they swap vegan recipes while chain smoking animal tested cigarettes, which i'm quite partial to myself.

3. Jeff Bones

Jeff Bones Member Forum Member

Dec 10, 2009

I Understand exactly what ur feeling XD
    Last summer i sold my 360 outa random impulse cause i realized that my life had become more soo about video games and movies then like Doing anything at all, i mean for almost a year i did nothing all day but play video games, I have a friend that hasnt been to skool in 2 years and all he does all day is play games and throw his life away.

But i dissagree with your ipod theory, if i was to break my mp3/ipod it would be very impleasent yes, but i can survive without music, i mostly prefer to play my own stuff half the time anyway, But like consumerism has become outa control the media is like Hey guess what people are gunna like now? "I dunno what?" What ever the fuck we tell you :o
    Like I for one am happy punk is underground i dont think my fist could handle all the fucking posers that think they know what it is to truely be anything at all, instead of just a media sheep :S

Rise! Rebel! Resist!

4. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    well, i'm not ashamed to admit i need the internet to live... though i oculd adapt without it, and though i didnt have until i was 16 (im 32 now) it would be a weird transition... But I do get free internet... sorta... i leech wireless, after getting fed up with Cox Communications and their lousy service... this leeched wireless works ten times more effectively then thier service ever was...

5. disfuck

disfuck Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 11, 2009

food i eat
    cigarettes
    beer
    clothes , it all was bought from somewhere

6. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

Word system, there is nothing wrong with it in my eyes in a binded society but if healthy why the fuck wud u want to be a slave, as they say you have ya health, be wise and live fully, move towards anarchy for all wihtout burning out and happily or wateva emotion takes u at the time, ya free not kinda free

u may find yourself lying on a beach in the seychelles/don't blame me if ya hate it, move on, with a pretty girl or the local dog on the beach and not another possesion in your life except a few pennies and the ticket u rode in on, maybe you'l stay a while, help the people if need be or cash or maybe u took a holiday to inspire, get a job washing dishes or fixing their net/nets or getting kicked out cause you look funny sleeping acrappy airport on ya way to another sianld you've nevr heard of to ring ya mate at3am to send u cash that he snds to you in days late while you get to know grumpy hot airport officials who just think your a vagrant white devil, do as the romans do, be carfeul, maybe you'll start a revolution, read some history form the local tour guide guset house, smoke crack, get to know the people, consume less live more, find ya feet and get going, life is shit andf life is beutiful get used to it, wat a lark but always always aim for anarchism in a free world and there are parables on many pacific islands who are also binded by colonialism and globilastion, its everywhere but the fish sure are pretty and the people aws as people are if given a chance, ya know take it as it comes while being prepared as gay basher baden powell once sed, old boy scout, na i wasn't tuched, thank dog

7. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

You cant truly escape corporate america while its alive. You just do the best you can. I own a 360, but i got it through people, not microsoft, for only 200 bucks. I dont buy games, i burn, borrow, rent for free, (all use of corporate america i guess). Hell, you live in a house and pay taxes so.

8. Boomstick

Boomstick Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 10, 2009

Does it make you people less "anarchist" to buy food from a corporate enterprise? Isn't it the same as dumpster diving in their trash cans? I don't know to me both things are the same, you're still leeching off capitalism even if you're getting it for free.

9. Wonder138

Wonder138 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 2, 2009

HEARS MY LIST

Cigarettes(i spend so much on)
    Spray Paint(well i steal it more then buy it but still i buy it alot to)
    those packs of 5 t-shirts from Wal-mart(i make alot of my own band shirts)
    Arizona tee (dont know if you guys have this wear your from but i love it i buy 2-3 every week)
    Permanent Makers/Paint Makers
    HairSpray
    Pump it up Gold(hair spritz)
    Clothes(mostly from the thrift store)
    .... cant think of any more right now

im going to squat once i move out but at the same time getting stuff for free is steal leaching of the State but your not contributing any thing to them this way your not helping them grow so i think its safe to say it dosent make you any less of a anarchist to steal and get things for free but theres no way you can get every thing for free your gunna have to pay for sumthing along the way if your living in any government with a form of currency

10. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    awww... aren't you still in high school? why the fuck do you smoke?

11. Rabbit

Rabbit Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 26, 2009

I think that part of being an anarchist is choosing your battles. You can't always live in a commune and eat food you grew while wearing clothes you made. It's just the nature of our society. We are dependent on the same corporations that we want to see dead.
    That being said, you can choose your battles. I can't always find a small independent store to buy things from, so you can either:
    1) Steal from bastards (McDonald's, Wal-Mart, Starbucks)
    -or-
    2) Choose the lesser of two evils. This is what I find myself doing most of the time. I hate McDonald's and Burger King. Their ad campaigns disgust me, their food is absolutely terrible for the body. So if I want to eat a burger, I go to a smaller place like Five Guys. Sure, they have lots of locations, but their food is higher quality and they aren't quite McDonalds.

The important thing to remember is that everything in the world is a shade of grey rather than black or white, so you support the less evil so that the more evil may die and make room for progressively smaller businesses to fill those niches left once bastards like Wal-Mart die out.

So instead of taking a hardline stance against any corporate evil, hurt the worst of them. The more you can go against supporting bastards, the harder they're hit.

12. bletheringvegan

bletheringvegan Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 3, 2009

MY list is:

Big HD TV
    Xbox 360
    desktop computer
    Internet
    I still shop in supermarkets (i'm poor and they are cheaper mostly)

Although in an anarchist society would video games and computers not exist? I think that video games, along with movies, are a great form of creativity that just happens to be owned by giant corporations - but they don't have to be. I am not against technology, I think technology can help us achieve quite a lot. The internet is an invaluable activist tool, and mobile cell phones are also an excellent way of keeping in touch with comrades etc.

Any thoughts on this?

13. Wonder138

Dec 2, 2009

lol drugs man drugs when i was about 10-11 i started smoking pot and cigs cause i grew up in a rely poor area of Houston wear every one was smoking and dealing i got into it way to soon i quit doing drugs but the cigarettes keep me sober tho i still drink from time to time besides my mom allows me to smoke cigs so its pretty easy to smoke when i ant got the cash cause she smokes to so ya

14. Wonder138

Dec 2, 2009

ya but the more you support the smaller Business the bigger thay get and in the end the small places ends up just like MacDonalds

15. Jeff Bones

Jeff Bones Member Forum Member

Dec 10, 2009

Yeah, most of the young punks at my skool, are all smoking cigs at least, but like man you cant beat the cronic lol, Not saying I deal or anything.... XD

But like yeah, most of my muny is spent on:

Booze
    Trees
    Studs
    Art supplies

16. SurgeryXdisaster

Oct 8, 2009

i agree, i think communication is a necessity

17. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

Computer
    IPhone (yes i am going to come out to you guys that i am in fact oblivious enough to own this piece of technology)
    Clothing
    Shoes: Adidas
    House
    Videojuegas
    However I am not self sustaining quite yet so I don't pay for my own food quite yet (thanks a million mom and dad)
    that being said I feel sort of queasy for being such a spoiled brat. :/

18. Boomstick

Boomstick Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 10, 2009

I totally agree with Rabbit on that life has a shade of grey, it's pretty much impossible to live outside capitalism (hell even Penny Rimbaud owns a frikkin' laptop, wish I had the money to buy one) but we can always use some of its tools (like internet for instance) and own them big time!.

My consumerism is:

- Comic Books (DC, Marvel, Indy. Scans mostly lol)
    - Computer
    - Chinese MP4 player (which doesn't actually play MP4 LOL)
    - Downloaded videogames
    - Female celebrities (I just can't resis them dammit :/)
    - Some TV shows (House M.D)

Besides, isn't this site itself "consummering" capitalism by accepting donations through PayPal and all those credit cards?.

19. SurgeryXdisaster

Oct 8, 2009

Has anyone ever actually donated?

20. The Anarchrist

The Anarchrist Active Member Forum Member

Dec 11, 2009

I agree. As much as I hate it, I am a consumer. But I never pay for shit unless its to support something or I have no choice. Pretty much all of my clothes are hand-me-downs, I download any movies, games, music I want, unless I really want to support what ever it is. For example, I buy music from indie bands. But, I digress, of course I'm a consumer, but not by choice. Living in a capitalist country in a capitalist world forces one to be a consumer. The best I can hope to do is fuck up the system anyway I can while I wait for the zombie invasion of 2012.