Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Nous Sommes Tous Charlie.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DeadChannel, Jan 8, 2015.

1. DeadChannel

DeadChannel Experienced Member Experienced member

Sep 16, 2014

So, twelve people are dead because of this and it needs to be talked about.
    Twelve people died for writing fucking cartoons. For taking pen to paper and silly, satirical jokes about politics and religion.
    For expressing their rights.

I'm too upset to continue, but this is something we need to discuss.

2. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    I agree it is highly upsetting, and initially I only saw the caricature of Muhammad with the bomb and the equalty phrase..but this morning I saw some others like Muhammad bending over and spreading his ass cheeks begging to be fucked from behind..and I thought they were reallycrossing some lines and should have known this was coming...

3. DeadChannel

Sep 16, 2014

I agree that some of the jokes were in bad taste, but this is a satirical magazine who's bread and butter is taking things too far. Certainly, no one deserved to die.

Also, to be fair, from what I can gather most of the really extreme comics came after threats were issued as sort of a way to defend the mag's rights to publish whatever it saw fit. Correct me if I'm wrong, I might be horribly out of touch w/ that topic.

4. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

This got way to much attention. Religious wars are being fought all the time but the society likes to ignore what isn't served to them as an information from media. I'm not being paranoid it's just that everyone forgot what happened to Palestine during summer where more than 1000 people died in the name of the religion ( you could say I'm wrong here, I wouldn't mind, but Israelis think they have the right on the promised land ). Religion has always been creating a pressure on the society, no matter what god we are talking about.

But enough of my bullshit, I'm not here to dishonor the dead. Even though I'm against all organized religion, I think there is a huge difference between peaceful mindfuk and extremism.

Now the so-called-liberals are fighting for freedom of speech, not knowing what that actually might cause. Again, sorry if I came out as disrespectful, it wasn't what i wanted.

5. nclpw

nclpw Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 25, 2012

Hey, and thanks for unblocking me by the way! I've only been lurking for quite a while, but this is a really interesting topic and I was looking forward to reading what people on the forum think about it.

I just wanted to point out about this that France has a long history of colonization, especially in Arab countries. That is probably a reason why France was attacked, that and a large Arabic/Muslim population that have all reasons in the world to feel cornered and hated. "We" had it coming, we've pushed the middle east to the brink of destruction and expected there would be no consequences for Europe? We were wrong.
    The western world has been involved in the rest of the world for centuries, and now the rest of the world gets involved in the west. It's a normal geopolitical consequence.
    As always a European is worth more than thousands of dead in the middle east. Thousands of people have recently been killed by Boko Haram in Nigeria, but I guess most people care more if a squirrel dies in their backyard.

6. Bakica

Feb 21, 2010

Hey, welcome back.

I do agree with what you're saying, but I don't think this has anything to do with history of colonization. Both attackers, as far as I know, are French. I think this is just random ( as far as random it can be ) act of violence.

7. nclpw

May 25, 2012

Thanks!
    But the guys that did it also took hostages in a kosher store, so I think it's clear that it was a politically motivated act of violence(also because of the caricatures). I don't know though, the french police must have either been off guard(they had earlier offered the people at Charlie Hebdo heightened security, which they refused), but the guys that did it also seemed to know what they were doing.
    It doesn't take an already established group like ISIS to commit something like that, I think there's a lot of tension between different political and religious groups in Europe as it is.

8. Bakica

Feb 21, 2010

Yes, that's what I though as well. It was purely political act. But saying they knew what they were doing is....well it seems a bit off.

"One clue that they left behind, however, was one of the suspect's ID cards that police found in the abandoned Citroen. From there, police were able to establish the identity of Said Kouachi, one of the suspects, and then they made the connection to his brother Cherif Kouachi. The French citizens were both known to law enforcement."

This mistake can't be done by serious and organized whatever-you-want-to-call-them. And robbing a store was the most retarded thing one could possibly make. There is no point in doing that ( even though it might be political ) since you're just giving police more information about yourself instead of just running away. Even though some people I've talked with claim that they would have been caught anyway, I think they would have stood more chance by just running and hiding.

But I find this story very interesting, since something like this doesn't happen everyday in Europe. It makes me think about what they could have done to escape, and what mistakes could they have avoided. I also like to see how police are reacting in this situtation, for obvious reasons.

I've read some articles claiming this could lead to stronger right-wing populist politics in Europe, considering America and Europe are getting more connected. This is also something to be considered as a potential problem, though it is not the topic now. Anyway, this got way to much attention, even though it is a tragedy.

9. DeadChannel

Sep 16, 2014

I agree with what a lot of people are saying about this getting a disproportionatleydisproportionatley large amount of media coverage. I think it's partly because of the free speech thing, which is taken pretty seriously by westerners. Kinda like how the whole N. Korea The Interview thing got a huge amount of attention.

Lots of issues deserve this much attention though. But, the media is fucked up like that.

10. nclpw

May 25, 2012

Yeah, it's unnecessary to meddle("military interventions"-type of meddling, spreading propaganda, and everything like that) with other countries. The Interview is ridiculous, how is that supposed to be a positive political act? That's Orwellian propaganda, through and through. Who cares what Seth Rogen thinks anyway(everyone, probably). Anyway..

But the chance that someone "loses" their ID like that is teensy tiny. One of the guys was also trained by the Al-Qaida in Yemen. I think they knew they were going to die, maybe they left the ID on purpose to ambush the cops somewhere? The 3rd dude that went to the Kosher store only took hostages, and the fact that he was only one person(? they're not sure yet) makes me think that (he knew he would die) and that maybe they just wanted to derail the cops while the other guys went somewhere else.
    But yes, I definitely agree, it is interesting.

The right wing is definitely on the rise in Europe, I don't really understand the situation in the US because there seem to be a lot of scattered para-military right wing groups and shit like that. Terrorist attacks definitely fuel the right wing.

Yeah, I'm tired of those hashtags everywhere. As if that would make anything better.

11. THEBLACKNOVA

THEBLACKNOVA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    [​IMG]

12. THEBLACKNOVA

THEBLACKNOVA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    so all the coverage and talk about free speech in "the states" (THE EMPIRE) on left and right wing media and local independant channels, i have yet to see them show the cartoon, why? what happend to that god given right to free speech? why arnt they exersicing it? si the bottom line more important?

i neeed a cup of coffee blah blah blah...

13. nclpw

May 25, 2012

They still didn't show it over there? They've showed them on tv and everything here. It seems like it quieted down pretty fast though.