Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Video Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anxiety69, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    I thought I'd start a thread for open discussion on video games and the social ramifications of them. I am a huge video game geek (though i dont have any of the newer systems) And I find it appalling how popular war games are. Call Of Duty, Medal Of Honor, Counterstrike, Gears Of War, etc. Do you play those types of games? Do you find it hypocritical for a punk to play war games? What about the mindless violence of games? Are there any games that represent any hope or positive form or resistance?

Basically anything goes in this thread as long as it on topic.

one semi-anarcho game i can think of is State Of Emergency, which is basically a whole game taking place in a riot against a corporation, unfortunately it is a mindlessly violent game.

2. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

I play violent video games regretfully and have an Xbox 360. The way I see it as long as the violence stays inside the games then they are harmless. I think it is natural (for me at least) to think violent thoughts on occasions and the ultraviolent video games (along with my generally passive attitudinal beliefs) help me vent them in an essentially harmless way.

3. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

the game 'industry' is a bastion of free speech to some, u decide whether u need it or whether its detrimental to yourself or whether you have an addiction stopping you doing other things

its gotta be better than usurped telly for the most part and great release for a mixed up world but if its ya only information or enetertainment, i've seen it create alotta 'fatties' that an industry then feeds off and we have to look after, eschewed views and stupid attitudes as peole are left totheirowne devices for 2 long, they have his issue in korea where people get shot over games in RL, may sound cool but it ain't, fo realz

the impersonality is often concerning due to seeing how people react towards it but baby boomers ain't bright buggers and they neva had video games/some take it as a means to hold a skill over others/90 year olds can play video games and is a great joy to them instead of dweeling on being old, they don't hurt nobody gen just dum people are fodder for a machine that aims to control with impunity, like i sed don't! let it inform ya choices at all and if ya concerned about the music industry ala anarcho then maybe ya concerned about a gaming industry that helps recruit using war games/greeeeeeeeeed is only one emotion, art 'galleries' are no better sometimes, everythings fine if ya can afford it hmmm

4. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

To me video-games are no more than an interactive movie or book, really. If someone takes it out on the streets they're insane, psycho motherfuckers and should be detained and forced to watch the Teletubbies all day long.
    I don't see anything wrong with playing war games, to be honest, hell some of them have semi-freedom-fighters in them, GLA from latest Red Alert instalments anyone? NOD from early C&C? Deus Ex is another good example of a guy working for and eventually against a corrupt corporation.
    And there's probably tons more, it just seems illogical to blame video games for any kind of violence if you ask me, society in and of itself seems to get off more and more on violence anyway.

5. ASA

Nov 2, 2009

not if organisation contributes to their mass production and there are alottt of war ganmes pushed, just like the idea that they push greed and selfishness on people as though without it in bundles you woudln't survive: myth making

and that is to say if they go out and do bad stuff we should ignore them, they call it an army of zombies haha but u play games if ya got ya head screwed on and do other things too

6. Keesling

Keesling Member Forum Member

Dec 8, 2009

Games do alot more then promote violence and controversy through politicians and crazy soccer moms..alot have messages. And usally there decent messages , decent morals.

Half Life 2? Takes place in pretty much a '1984 like' totalitarian police state , you break free and slowly destroy the system , civilians here of your actions and you spark a revolution and lead it to the streets. Its quite a epic feeling. There are alot of games with very strong morals that actually seem like they would appear to more of us then the usual social type. Some of these games are quite beautiful underground pieces of art. I suggest anyone who hasent picked up that game , try it out , especially if your not for the video games , it may give you a whole different spin on video games...

as far as halo and all that other bullshit? Yeah ... thats just companies reeling in cash...just my opinion...even the new COD3 has a bit of part of going rogue against orders and a commanding general...true pieces of work. :thumbsup:

7. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

Halo was a shitty game, not worth the hype in my opinion...

8. Extinction

Extinction Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 1, 2009

I play games often, but not as much now with me being in school, but anyways. I have no problem playing violent games, Mortal Kombat is one of my favorites, as are FPS games. I agree with what others have said about Deus Ex, Half Life and whatnot. In Resident Evil affter the T-Virus is released and everybody becomes zombies, the S.T.A.R.S team decides to take down Umbrella Corp and succeed in doing so. Basically, gamers are very archaic and anarchic in what they design and do.

9. Cocytus

Cocytus Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 14, 2009

Im a huge video game fan, more into RPGs than anything, finding the 2 best video games ever made to be Earthbound and Final Fantasy 3(aka 6) on the SNES.

As for war related first person shooters, I always like playing multiplayer when I am on the opposing side so I can blow US soliders apart with RPGS and well placed sniper rifle shots to the face.

I do however find them to be way too patriotic, and people get too hyped up on USA being #1 with the story lines and shit.

Fallout 3 and Oblivion rule, Gears of war is a fun game but the ending to part 2 was a piece of shit, Half life is always going to be awsome, and they need to finish episode 3 ASAP because the ending to episode 2 was amazing, I still think metal gear solid is one of the greatest stories ever to be told and proves video games are a way more entertaining medium the newer movies.

Looking forward to mass effect 2 and final fantasy 13.

I liked the shin megami tensei series up until persona 3, digital devil saga and noctourne were awsome.

But, theres still no topping SNES and PS1 For RPGS....Play Xenogears and tell me otherwise.

10. EMOCROMO

EMOCROMO New Member New Member

Dec 8, 2009

11. EMOCROMO

EMOCROMO New Member New Member

Dec 8, 2009

i'm still alive ,i've see death so close and my brain sceam to me: it'isn your time you must to do somethink bigger,better for you and everybody. Survive, rise. find, the right way. change myself to make bigger the world.the actual process of thinking of world can't change me in the right ideas..... I want to DO My World !!!!!!!!! And so, justice for all !!!!!!

12. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

I feel the same way, especially with Grand theft auto
    I used to play online games like halo and call of duty every day
    now i only find the time about a couple times a month
    a lot of these games, sadly, have had a huge impact on my life (in relation to fond childhood memories)

13. Harrison

Harrison Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2009

I enjoy video games, play them a little bit (though now not so much). One of the best video games (in terms of anarchy) is by far Urbandead. Free online browser based Zombie MMORPG, about 40,000 people play it. All people. The city it takes place in has 4 different active anarchist groups and an IWW chapter. Red Faction is also pretty good (game play isn't the best), its about a miners who revolt against their leaders and form a revolutionary guerrilla faction. It's pretty direct.

And to second Cocytus, it is pretty rad when you get to play as terrorists and mow down military police. There's few things finer.

14. Cocytus

Cocytus Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 14, 2009

Its all about being a sniper, with the sawn off madmax style shotgun as a secondary weapon, and your main being the fully upgraded .50 cal sniper rifle, with the special perk being an RPG. Nothing better than some army nerd talking shit and feeding a well placed bullet/guided RPG right in his skull, almost as good as the real thing.

15. ASA

Nov 2, 2009

I find games dum down peepz, they can build a rocket but can't give an old lady candy while shes laying on the footpath cause shes hyperglycemic, they just pick her up, walk away and she falls down again doing more damage, 'she must be drunk' yea bro fully, lets go play shootem ups, they are selfish at their core which is fine but not all and should be realised as so and often leads to apathy, the developers with good ideas who take military money are not 'cool', how else do you explain people joining a losing war, they have an xbox woteva too and then u get uinto the argument of the individual and society and i believe society is anarchy or else yep chaos but wait isn't that wat we have now hmmm

16. Anxiety69

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    I agree about games where u can kill authority figures...GTA going on a rampage, killing cops and national guards men, stealing thier tanks and using them against them... sigh... what is more fun? In the game Hitman Blood Money (i think) u get to break into the white house and kill the vice president! In Thief, u get to steal from the rich and keep for yourself. Fable u get to kill the teachers and mentors who raised you.

Some of my other favorites that come to mind, but dont have a real us vs. them theme are Shadow of the colossus, star wars knights of the old republic, Tekken, Warioware INC, etc...

Deus ex is one of my all time favorites btw.

I also agree games are an artform that gets little respect as such.

17. Spider

Spider Experienced Member Experienced member

Sep 3, 2009

It's kind of scary the amount of knowledge of guns, weaponry, scopes etc as well as military jargon and tactical knowledge some of the young kids coming up in the melbourne scene have. I talk to them about school and they say they're playing too much COD instead of study and it's affecting their marks. Perhaps it is more important for them to learn how to provide suppressive fire so their buddies can go kill some arabs than it is for them to read, learn and grow individually. It's gonna reach a point where all these kids who failed school learning miltary tactics and weapon assembly are gonna get drafted out of desperation and half of their training has been provided by the video games industry. (I actually play a lot of the games menioned here, but i think war games are a heap of shit, unless they are revolutionary ie not patriotic.)

18. Keesling

Keesling Member Forum Member

Dec 8, 2009

Well when video games or entertainment in general becomes priority over education , that may be when something is wrong... its a obvious lack of responsibility within that person or within the child's parents , whichever may be the case. :ecouteurs:

19. Anxiety69

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    is really scary to me is that the us military puts out games from time to time to try and show how"cool" or "fun" the military is... Fortunatly those games get bad reviews, as they seem to be more about patriotism then quality.

I also saw a really scary commercial the other day for the us air force, that looked like a video game, and the tag was something about how you can join and life will be like a video game... They are really trying to reach the video game demographic to recruit...

20. Spider

Spider Experienced Member Experienced member

Sep 3, 2009

COD4 and Halo are both linked with the defence force, and both push patriotism and state agendas.They also got killer reviews. The guy who runs the rehearsal studio where we practice is always playing COD4 and from what I've seen, they could not have created some of those tactics and missions without military support and approval. It's pretty scary. And personally i definitely remember wagging school from time to time to play four player goldeneye on the 64, it's not an unusual occurence, especially with how addictive these new games are.