Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Banks? Credit Union?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Parasite33322, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Parasite33322

Parasite33322 Member New Member

Apr 18, 2014

Im turning 18 and I know nothing about banks which is sad i know but no one really told me about this stuff. My sister made me open a saving account in bank of america when i was 13 not knowing how evil that bank at the time. I forgot all about it it til yesterday so tomorrow im closing my account obviously. But my question is what is a true anarchist way of having a debit card? Is it by credit union?

2. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

No, it's burning down the banks. But since you can't do that, i recommend not worring about that for now. Money is the problem in the first place, banks are just used to control the money. You won't solve anything by not having an account in a bank. But anyway, who needs a bank account at 18 ?

3. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Close down your account and join a credit union that is run more like a collective..

4. nclpw

nclpw Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 25, 2012

..You probably have to pay quite a lot of interest in a bank like that.

Since burning down a bank won't do much more than end you and your friends in prison, I agree that you'll drive yourself crazy trying to be a trve anarchist.
    You can't abolish banks, the problem isn't banks, it's the function of banks in the capitalist system. They have banks in communist countries too, the difference is that they don't decide the politics.

5. nodogs_nomasters

nodogs_nomasters Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    Don't worry too much about being a "true anarchist". Your relationship to the philosophy will grow over time, but nobody shakes the system completely. You could very well have a bank account and still be an active anarchist. There's all sorts of action you can take. Even if you find a way to sustain yourself in a homestead or commune, chances are that homestead or commune had some tie to the mainstream economy at some point. Dream big and resist, but don't moralize yourself or feel guilty because you were born into a corrupt system that you cannot entirely escape. It's not your fault.

Punkmar's idea sounds like a practical solution, though. Or you could keep your cash in a firebox lock, though that could get stolen if your house got robbed. It's up to you.

6. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Experienced Member Experienced member

Jan 17, 2016

I used to go bankless, up till about 7 years ago when I did some traveling and needed an account so I could still access my money and pay my rent while I was away from home. The whole thing was one long, ongoing clusterfuck, with the bank constantly scamming me and screwing things up. They stole probably thousands of dollars from me over that time and destroyed my credit rating, which makes it next to impossible to find a place to live because they all run a credit check as part of the application process.

The worst part is, I don't have the choice of not having a bank any more. Social Security stopped sending out checks a few years ago, so now you have to have an account for them to deposit the money into or you can't get your disability payments. Really makes me wish my parents had just fucked off and joined a commune in the woods somewhere, instead of getting me stuck in this bullshit exploitive system I can't get out of.

7. Vulture

Vulture Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 12, 2015
     United States
    I am a member, as of now, at a credit union. All it is really is a smaller scale "home-town" feeling bank. They pull the same shit.

8. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Experienced Member Experienced member

Jan 17, 2016

Yeah, banks have always struck me as a scam. Bunch of people standing around going "Yeah, just let us hold your money for you, we promise to give it back when you need it. Oh, but we're going to charge you fees for holding it, or transferring it, or for any other reason we come up with. And we may decide to limit when and how much of your money you can take out once you give it to us. But yeah, you should totally give us all your money."

Problem is that every day it gets harder and harder to get by without using a bank of some kind. You need to pass a credit check for practically everything, which means actually having and using a credit card despite the fact that those are even bigger scams than the banks, and a lot of utilities and services make it damn near impossible to pay your bill with cash. Not to mention that nobody pays in cash these days unless it's an illegal, under the table job--and good luck getting that paycheck cashed without having a bank account or paying somebody a fee.

Fucking capitalism--too many people scheming up ways to charge you money just for being born. :ecouteurs:

9. Vulture

Vulture Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 12, 2015
     United States
    Thanks, I'm guessing you already listened to Autonomads then? If you haven't I highly advise it!

10. DickEvil

DickEvil Member Forum Member

Sep 16, 2016

Credit unions. They actually function a lot like the "banks" for lack of a better word did in the Soviet Union.