Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Misconceptions about punk

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by nodogs_nomasters, Sep 14, 2014.

1. nodogs_nomasters

nodogs_nomasters Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    People have a lot of them. So what are some of the most absurd you've heard of in your day? Mine's probably that The Sex Pistols are the punkest motherfuckers to ever walk the earth and were the fathers of punk. My brother tried telling me that the other day, hahaha. :ecouteurs:

2. RememberGlencoe

RememberGlencoe Experienced Member Experienced member

May 12, 2014

The idea that every punk starts off listening to Blink 182 or Green Day first, and then involuntarily digivolves over time into a crustie. Like what encyclopedia dramatica said in their article on punk, but with a straight face.

Or the idea some kids get that they HAVE to love Black Flag. I myself, prefer Raid. Greatest hardcore band ever, although Hot Shot is a close second.

3. NoGodsNoMasters38

NoGodsNoMasters38 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 17, 2013

I told someone once that I liked crust punk and he asked "You mean like Sum 41?"
    :ecouteurs: :ecouteurs: :ecouteurs: :ecouteurs: :ecouteurs:

4. 363

363 Active Member Forum Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Male
     United States
    The more bands you can quote, the punker (adjectival) you are, despite being a walmart shopper.

5. taufan99

taufan99 Member New Member

Sep 2, 2014

Oh God, there are A LOT of misconceptions about punks in Indonesia. A lot of people believe that, for example, all punks are alcoholic delinquent vandals that always look messy and smoke cannabis. Even worse is that some (like two of my teachers in my school) believe that recently, punks also commit serious stuff like gangbanging a woman 'till said woman gets HIV. Pretty sad. :'( :ecouteurs: :ecouteurs:

6. nodogs_nomasters

nodogs_nomasters Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    Ouch.

I've gotten that before. They're always really belligerently insistent that I MUST like this or that shitfest because I said I like punk.

7. RPenis

RPenis New Member New Member

Sep 25, 2014

I love the movie cliché where punks hang out with skinheads while listening to rap and pull out knives when they're angry. That's just perpetuating an age gap if you ask me.

8. RememberGlencoe

RememberGlencoe Experienced Member Experienced member

May 12, 2014

That weird word association kind of thing outsiders seem to have between punk and juvenile degeneracy? I've noticed that, too. Seems every token "scary teenager" is either an attempt at a punk or a wigger in mainstream media. Maybe with a dash of pseudo-goth added in for good measure.
    Outsiders never really saw past the Sex Pistols, and the archtypal delinquent lines up pretty well with McLaren's boy toys. Other than that, they know of the Ramones and Nirvana. Both of those just blur with rock and roll as a whole, though, so as far as the squares know, punk ended in 1978.

9. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Experienced Member Experienced member

Jan 17, 2016

That being punk means having a neon mohawk and wearing a spiked leather jacket.
    That being punk means being a dick.
    That being punk means sucking at playing the guitar while someone screams unintelligibly over it.

I think that's what bothers me so much about the idea that the Sex Pistols are the epitome of punk: They've always struck me as being more focused on being as loud and offensive as possible over any actual message they might have been trying to convey. Sure, everyone that spends two seconds researching punk music comes across Anarchy in the U.K., but when you look at the lyrics, that song was full of every bad stereotype the state perpetuates to smear punks and anarchists. How punk can you be when you're perpetuating government propaganda?

10. Vulture

Vulture Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 12, 2015
     United States
    In defense of the Sex-Pistols, I think they were witty and sarcastic. These characteristics are essential in punk in a time when punk was just sprouting. It doesn't go much further than that. They went with fucking EMI and Warner, fucking shits. They had no political message either...

11. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Experienced Member Experienced member

Jan 17, 2016

Sarcastic? Sure. Witty? That might be stretching it.

My main problem with the Sex Pistols is that they perpetuated all the bad stereotypes about punks being mindless, drug-addled delinquents. If they were original at anything, it was being the kind of fake sellout punks who were only interested in the look and didn't have a message beyond a juvenile attempt to be as loud and offensive as possible.

Don't get me wrong, loud and offensive is great--provided you actually have something to say. The Sex Pistol's music was the equivalent of a four-year old giggling and shouting dirty words at the mall. That kind of crap hurt the movement more than they helped it, because it convinced a lot of people--including many would-be punks--that that's all there was to it.

12. Sti

Sti Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 26, 2011

It's alright to think there are stereotypes. We are right knit. Because if we didn't have a general station then there would be no punk. You have officially achieved a stereotype, welcome to punk. A misconception I encounter, people seem to think punk isn't a movement. It goes up and up. When I make a realization then I think that you should base your next realization on that. It's stupid to think there is another idea? Secondly, why am I blowing not air.. To other punks? If your going then to because this is serious business, your personal ideal means Jack shit to me. Because I am someone else and I don't give two shits. I came to punk to escape what was normal in 2008 which was the rise of radio rap and snitching and respect and blah blah blah. To think tthere are rules to individuals that you know more than that individual is disabled at best. Why can't people pick punk?? We exist, for real and you just don't have the eyes to see. We need friends and love.. More than anyone

13. Sti

Sti Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 26, 2011

I like the sex pistols lyric and it is political as all fuck, she lived in a tree she was an animal she was a bloody Christ.

14. StopWarEatBananas

StopWarEatBananas Member New Member

Mar 30, 2016

I hate all of the stupid pop-punk like Green-Day (and a bunch of other stuff that I can't name because I try my best to avoid it) music that people think is real punk. The very word, pop-punk is an oxymoron. Punk is the antithesis of popular culture, therefore pop-punk is just a facade of "punk" that actually doesn't even look like the real thing, with ridiculous music and self-centered lyrics.

15. CroydonTouristOffice

CroydonTouristOffice Member Forum Member

Apr 4, 2016
     United Kingdom
    The general idea that punk = studded jackets and hammering power chords. I don't really have a problem with that sound or that aesthetic - hell, it lends itself to a good party atmosphere more than anything else out there! But it does annoy me that so many people define punk using such unimaginative terms.

Cardiacs and The Cravats were more punk than The Exploited or Anti-Nowhere League ever were, even if they didn't wear their punk uniforms.