Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Rats!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike Generic, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Mike Generic

Mike Generic Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 29, 2010
     Canada
    I saw there was a thread for dogs and cats, but seeing as this is a punk/anarcho-punk site, I was kind of surprised that there wasn't a thread for rats.
    I've got two boys, Blinko (named after Nick Blinko from Rudimentary Peni) and Vyvyan (named after the character from The Young Ones).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any other rat owners on this site?

2. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

I had a male a while ago, about 4 years now

R.I.P. Sunny

3. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    How long do Rats live under good circumstances?

4. Mike Generic

Mar 29, 2010
     Canada
    I've heard anywhere between 2-5 years, depending on how well you take care of them, ie diet, physical activity...

5. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    I can't handle loosing loved ones so quickly, that's why I stopped having rabbits... :/

6. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

I used to have rats. Absolutely love 'em. They have personalities that rival dogs/cats. Mine were usually content to sleep on my shoulder, occasionally shoving their noses into my ear our exploring the contents of my pockets.

I think their life span under good circumstances is like 3-5 years or so, which sucks :(

7. Mike Generic

Mar 29, 2010
     Canada
    Mine aren't huge fans of human interaction, they were rescued from a lab by the Grand River Animal Rescue, and I got them at about 1 year old, so they weren't really that well accustomed to people. But, they do love it when I play acoustic guitar.

I agree with the problem of the short lifespan. It really sucks, but they're so full of personality, it's like having miniature puppies.

8. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

If you want something that lives long get yourself a turtle :ecouteurs:

9. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

Used to had one some years ago, found her as a baby norway rat on the street one berlin night and took her in - she took over the shared apartment. Cute and ultrasmart little rogue she was, always whistling for food and entertainment, doing high wire acts just for fun, scaring the shit out of unprepared visitors or transfixing people by sleeping on their lap.
    She died after almost 6 years as a grey senior veteran and a whole bunch of people attended her funeral,
    R.I.P., RiffRaff - still miss you dearly! :'(

10. persona-non-grata

persona-non-grata Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 9, 2010

I would love to have rats but we have 3 cats at home plus my mom and sister are scared of rats so I'll have to wait till I move out :p

btw @mike generic I loveyour choise in name's <3 <3 <3

11. Mike Generic

Mar 29, 2010
     Canada
    Haha, thanks. Finding names for pets is fun. A friend of mine had a rat named Pestilence Von Clusterfuck The Destroyer.

12. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Or a smartass human.... :ecouteurs:

13. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( - me too!!!

14. persona-non-grata

persona-non-grata Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 9, 2010

awesome name XD but yeah finding pet names IS fun :p our three cats are named after jungle book figures (mowgli, shanti, balou) and when I get a rat I'll call him/her rabies :p

15. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 28, 2010

oh yes, naming pets can be pretty freakin' funny. we've got one hannibal and one lecter in our rat colony (because they preferred human fingers as food instead of vegetables/fruits in the beginning :lmao: ). we're some kind of rat shelter, currently five ones. amazing living beings!

16. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

Out of interest - do rats still interact with humans if they are kept in numbers/clans/colonies?

17. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

what are you up to, comrade pied piper?

As far as I remember the wild ones have a very territorial system of hunting/foraging grounds, sometimes organized with a pascha ruling over a number of female held areas, sometimes a whole clan defends it's territory against strangers - very social amongst themselves, some reports described cooperative and collective behavior, but outsiders will most likely driven off or hunted down.

18. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 28, 2010

the ones we've got at the moment are very... human-friendly. especially if human has got food in his hands. :ecouteurs:

although they are not THAT fixed on humans, they do not only know every part of the family, but are very social and tame, regarding us more as a part of the mini-tribe than just as 'giants that will bring food daily' :lmao:

19. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

Nothing in perticular - and we have the feline, guess she would be veeery happy if we give it a chance...
    But in rememberance of RiffRaff's devotion to almost everybody within reach and especially the regular whistling "call for the refrigator" in the morning, or the "do-something-i'm-bored" call - I still wonder how much she tamed the bipedals to bring food... or do entertainment.
    And I still think that she learned to "open" eggs by rolling them off the table or the sideboard with intent!

20. Burn1ng

Burn1ng Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 24, 2011

I don't own rats but I love them oh so fucking very much...