Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

'Punk Rock, Mental Illness and Recovery', a talk, seeking event organizers in the Los Angeles and southern California region

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UPHEAVAL.FANZINE, Nov 10, 2013.

1. UPHEAVAL.FANZINE

UPHEAVAL.FANZINE Active Member Forum Member

Aug 2, 2010

Hello. I am looking to connect with anyone who may be interested (or know someone who would be) in setting up my 'Punk Rock, Mental Illness and Recovery' talks in the Los Angeles area.

I am planning these events for the third week of March 2014. I will speak in libraries, record stores, cafes, activist spaces, universities, living rooms, etc. I tell my recovery story from a lifetime of mental illness, addiction and trauma while also being a part of the punk scene in Boston since the late 80's. I am now working as a peer mental health provider and I am also a published author. I still do a punk rock fanzine and am currently playing in a hardcore punk band.

Please let me know if you can help or share this information with your friends/interested people who may be able to set up an event. I have a "pitch" that I can send interested people that explains much more about what I am doing.

Please check out my websites: http://WWW.PUNKSINRECOVERY.COM and http://WWW.BETTERDAYSRECOVERY.COM

Thank you. Please write to me at: punx.in.recovery@gmail.com

This talk is relevant to anyone struggling with their mental health, addiction and/or trauma, their friends, families, supporters and allies as well as providers. It is meant to empower people, inspire people, destroy stigma and spread the concept and reality of recovery.

2. VeganShteve

VeganShteve Experienced Member Experienced member

Aug 15, 2012

Interesting. I've just started writing an article about punk rock and suicide prevention so I'll have a look through your sites when I have some time.

3. UPHEAVAL.FANZINE

UPHEAVAL.FANZINE Active Member Forum Member

Aug 2, 2010

Hello. thank you for your comment. I am very interested in hearing more about the project you are working on. Will talk soon. All the best - C