Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

How to upload albums on Anarcho-Punk.net server (2023 edition)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Starfighter, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Starfighter

Starfighter d(^_^)b Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male , 38 years old
    Malmö, Sweden  Sweden
    Disclaimer: You need to have uploaded at least 10 albums on the forum through other means (third-party file sharing sites) before you get access to PunkDownload. This is just to prevent abuse and to see what kind of music you upload on the forum. After you have uploaded 10 albums, you will be automatically added to the "Uploader" user group which grants access to PunkDownload. If you need help getting started with that, click here.

This is a written guide to help beginners upload their albums to the APN server ("PunkDownload"). No prior experience or knowledge is needed, we'll cover every step to do a basic upload. In the comments below there's a video on the process as well. Feel free to ask any questions you might have, no matter how trivial they might seem. We all want you to succeed in your noble quest to provide the world with anarchist music.

Things you'll need:
    * All the files! Make sure you have all the tracks, preferably in the mp3 format, and a good picture of the artwork for the release you want to upload. And of course, avoid uploading things that is at risk of having copyright issues on the server. Use third-party file sharing solutions for those cases.

[​IMG]
    (If you're not able to scan or photograph the artwork then it's most of the times available at Discogs.)

* A computer! While it's technically possible to do this on a smartphone, it's highly recommended to use a computer (the process is more or less the same on Windows, macOS or Linux).

Step 1 - Make the zip file
    Select all the files you want to include in the zip file. Then follow these steps depending on which OS you're using:

Windows - Right click the files and select "Compress to ZIP-file" (may differ a bit in wording between Windows versions)
    macOS - Right click the folder containing your files and select "Compress folder"
    Linux - If you're using Linux you won't need a tutorial on creating a zip file. :)

The name of the zip file should be Band - Album (Year). For example "Subhumans - The Day The Country Died (1983).zip". If you're including multiple images you can name them alphabetically in the order you want them displayed in the final result.

Step 2 - Find the appropriate section
    On the topics bar, hover over "Downloads" and you'll get a drop-down menu. Select the option that's relevant to your contribution (the first one is for punk bands from english-speaking parts of the world, the second is for punk bands in any other language and the last one is for non-punk. It's self explanatory really).
    [​IMG]

Step 3 - Upload the file
    Now it's time to create the thread for your upload and upload the file to it. Click on "Post new thread". Next you'll see two buttons: "Share an album on the forum" in black and "Upload file" in red. First click on "Share an album on the forum" and select your zip file on your hard drive. After selecting the file a pop-up will confirm your file is "loaded" (which isn't the same as being uploaded, so we're not done yet). Click OK and then click "Upload file". Now you're uploading the file, which can take a few minutes depending on the file size and your internet speed. There's no clear indication on the site that anything is happening during this stage but believe me, it is. Have patience and wait a bit and things will eventually pop up, and the information will be filled out automatically. If anything is missing then fill in the blanks manually. Scroll down to the bottom and click "Post thread".

Thou, my brave hero, art done!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023

2. Starfighter

Feb 16, 2011
    Male , 38 years old
    Malmö, Sweden  Sweden
    Here's a video of the process:

As stated in the beginning, this is the basic version to get you started with uploading. Information about ID3v2 tagging standards, converting file formats and so on will be covered in the future for those who want to go above and beyond.

3. Starfighter

Feb 16, 2011
    Male , 38 years old
    Malmö, Sweden  Sweden
    If you have a vinyl record or an audio cassette that you want to digitalize (turn in to mp3 files) I've made a simple guide to do this as well. It's in swedish (the point of the video was to learn swedes who might struggle with english) but I've added english subtitles so it should be useful for everyone:

4. Starfighter

Feb 16, 2011
    Male , 38 years old
    Malmö, Sweden  Sweden
    Also: A big thank you to @Spike one of many@Spike one of many for providing a base layout of the tutorial and a few technical things to be aware of that I wasn't (for example the case-sensitivity in the file name extension).

5. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Wow, a big thank you to @Starfighter@Starfighter for writing this very detailed and complete guide! Even with a video - that's perfect! Thanks to @Spike one of many@Spike one of many for helping too!

This will be very useful for new members, so I have stuck the thread to make sure it always stays visible on top of the posts list.

I also added a link to this thread under the upload form:
    upload_2023-7-10_18-25-52.png

Just adding some important details:

- You need to have uploaded at least 10 albums on the forum before you get access to PunkDownload. This is just to prevent abuse and to see what kind of music you upload on the forum. After you have uploaded 10 albums, you will be automatically added to the "Uploader" user group which grants access to PunkDownload.

- Due to legal liability, the "rules" are a bit stricter for albums uploaded on our own servers. So PunkDownload is preferred for non-commercial, underground, anarcho-punk music (usually copyright-free). Please don't upload anything that is at risk of having copyright issues on this server (you can still use third-party hosts for this, as long as it fits in the forum you're posting)

That was a bug, I just fixed it so now the case should make no difference (not tested)

This is a known issue, which can be confusing at first. We tried to add a loading animation during the upload process, but it was not possible without making major changes and it was risky to break stuff.

6. Starfighter

Feb 16, 2011
    Male , 38 years old
    Malmö, Sweden  Sweden
    Oh, that's right I didn't even think of that. I've added it to the top post! :)

ungovernable likes this.

11 members have read this thread this month

1. Starfighter
  2. Rune
  3. aint ashamed
  4. ungovernable
  5. Charger Bullet
  6. bruski
  7. LiteStone
  8. Radio0650
  9. pedrodalion
  10. Spike one of many