Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Anarchist Organizing

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by Vegan_Who_Wears_Leather, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Vegan_Who_Wears_Leather

Vegan_Who_Wears_Leather Active Member Forum Member

Jun 16, 2010

What do you think is more important when organizing, organizing around an issue or organizing around relationship building?

2. Vegan_Who_Wears_Leather

Jun 16, 2010

I guess I should have included my opinion as well when I posted this topic. I think that building relationships are more important because organizing around issues is contradictory; issues are conceptual while people actually exist. Also organizing around issues is based on a constituency who have relationships to with those issues, but only through abstraction can we say that people have relationships with issues - in reality they can only be in relationship with other people.

3. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

Sorry, I don't understand question :( around relationships building ? huh ?

4. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

Building relationships with people who share a common stance on specific issues, to reach a common goal.

A.K.A.: Organizing.

To answer your question: Both.

5. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

100% agreed: Taking part in campaigns and protests is important to make up numbers and show to the public that there is a growing counter culture/counter politic/movement opposing the system - it's encouragement for the still undecided, support for the affected and a great opportunity to propagate the "other"/alternative side of life.
    It's also relation building with people from other areas, I don't want to miss the internationals I've met at protests and rallies elsewhere - almost always enriching my humble being with their views and knowledge.

Working in a neighborhood project in our area is more of relation building, by now we reach more than 400 people with all kinds of repairs, renovation and social services, around 70 activists work on a regular basis up to a few hours each day, weekends included. The network is multinational, voluntary, not necessarily mutual, except for the cost of materials without any financial reward - maybe far from being anarchist for now, but I think we make constant little steps towards autonomy and self-determination.
    People from whatever nationality get together, learn to know each other and overcome ethnic prejudices, work together and for each other - realizing their similiar situation and needs. We have two football/sport dates per week for fitness and fun, some people organize chess competitions or small gigs with ethnic music. We already had political projects running too, racist cops and especially boneheads on the street experience growing problems because the immigrants emancipate themselves and ask for respect and their rights.
    My personal favorite is a project very similiar to foodnotbombs, the crew is highly motivated, perfectly organized and gaining a growing reputation throughout the city - little steps towards some kind of free community some day...

6. snookams

snookams Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 7, 2010

very well said. i agree. however, people still have issues that actually exist....it's more like the beliefs that they hold or their ideas are conceptual whereas our human needs as well as our environmental needs are real. i think humans need a strong relationship with their enviornment, which includes each other (people are the enviornment as much as any other piece of matter on this planet). and what good is a relationship without love or respect?

7. Vegan_Who_Wears_Leather

Jun 16, 2010

What I mean by organizing around building relationships Bakica, is organizing with the intention of building relationships with other people. I think Jack, that building relationships shouldn't be a means to an end, but rather they should be an en in and of themselves. What you had in mind, I think, is activism; an activist being a person who is responsible to a defined issue and who helps address that issue through mobilizing a base of people to take collective action. Organizing on the other hand, in the words of the National Organizers Alliance, "Organizing - An organizer is a person who is responsible to a defined constituency and who helps build that constituency through leadership development, collective action and the development of democratic structures." Also, as anarchists, don't we believe that people can govern themselves, that they can think for themselves and identify their own issues? That is why I think organizing around building relationships is more important because after we build relationships, we organize those relationships into groups where in group meetings issues are brought up. Then the action to take on the issue is decided collectively through direct democracy and then action is taken. After action is taken we regroup and reflect on the action taken and so on and so forth.

Also I'd recommend "An Anarchist Reader for Effective Organizing". It makes many good observations on anarchist organizing, some of which I've used here.
    Here's the link for the PDF:
    zinelibrary.info/anarchist-reader-effective-organizing

8. JackNegativity

Nov 9, 2010

Shouldn't every anarchist be considered an organizer?
    "Defined constituency..." - ourselves.
    "...through leadership development,..." - self-leadership/discipline.

And as anarchists we will have many issues (including activism) in common, leading to personal relationships and ultimately organization. It's all intertwined. Sure, new issues can arise AFTER organization, but those personal relationships that lead to organization wouldn't exist without those original core common issues.

So unless I've misunderstood something here (which is possible, it's hard to stay sharp living by the schedule of an insomniac one-year-old), I still say both. I don't think you'll have one without the other.

9. Vegan_Who_Wears_Leather

Jun 16, 2010

Only if they're organizing

Exactly. We use issues as a means to building relationships, organizations and action. But what usually happens when peopole organize around an issue(activism), they spend a great deal of time developing an issue. They have a tendency to create an analysis that is significantly different than that of other people, increasing the distance between the depth of understanding between them and that of other people. Through this we find increasing polarization and the breeding grounds of a vicious circle of isolation. So instead of developing an analysis of an issue and then organize, we build relationships, organize those relationships into groups and develop an analysis of issues with other people and so on and so forth. Also, as I've said , as anarchists we beleive that people can govern themselves. This belief implies a monumental amount of trust in others; activists have no such trust in others - they believe in their analysis of and moral commitment to an issue. by putting their belief in an issue they are removing their belief in people.

10. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    This is simply your opinion...

11. Vegan_Who_Wears_Leather

Jun 16, 2010

What is your opinion?

12. JackNegativity

Nov 9, 2010

I can kinda see where you're going with this, but you can't really speak for ALL activists. Just because you see it a certain way doesn't mean others can't believe in an issue and in people at the same time. Even when like-minded people agree on certain issues there can always be variations as to how and why (this forum being a good example). So though it's not invalid (and I don't 100% disagree with you), as punkmar77 said, it is just your opinion and not an absolute fact.

13. Vegan_Who_Wears_Leather

Jun 16, 2010

Of course people can believe in both issues and people at the same time. What I'm saying is that people and relationships should always come before issues because it is through other people and relationships that we form a better analysis of an issue, and we are more likely to reach consensus with other people if we organize based on relationships.
    I'm confused. Variations as to how and why what? Variations as to how and why like-minded people agree on certain issues?