Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

about copyright

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by Chris Meitanis, Oct 27, 2023.

1. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    I mean if you're cool with people not crediting you for your music, that's cool. But not everyon is cool with that.

2. Starfighter

Starfighter d(^_^)b Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male , 38 years old
    Malmö, Sweden  Sweden
    I'm aware (and I respect it), but I don't really understand why. I understand why it can be important to the listener ("Oh, I like this, where can I find more of this?") but not really to the creator. But I'm sure there's a reason in there somewhere that makes me understand on a deeper level, I just need to find it.

3. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Personally I'm not too uptight about credit for myself either. I mean it's nice to get credit but I'm not gonna be mad about it (for myself). I have signed pictures that I've drawn to be published (on a website, nothing major and not for money) and I wouldn't upload a picture to an online gallery without signing it. Would you?
    But I always try to credit other people for their work. I just feel it's the right thing to do.

Chris Meitanis likes this.
  4. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Like if I upload an album I don't feel I have to list all the band members and former band members for example, I don't feel that's necessary, anyway they're listed on the record cover anyhow but for (another) example, if I use someone's review, I'll credit them or their blog. It also gives the blog a bit more exposure, however small. I mean we help each other in the punk scene.
    EDIT: Unless I got the review from Discogs or Last FM or something, I couldn't care less about crediting those sites lol.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
  5. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Yeah you said you're trying to understand why it might be important to some people. Maybe it's ego, I don't know. But is that such a bad thing? It doesn't automatically mean you're an egocentric egomaniac to want credit or recognition for the work you've done. ;)
    Why do band members list their names on their albums? Why does the person that draws the cover sign their name on it?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
  6. Starfighter

Feb 16, 2011
    Male , 38 years old
    Malmö, Sweden  Sweden
    I have. :) I've done free commission work for websites and uploaded digital artwork online free for anyone to download/use without credit etc. But then again, I've also been paid to do other stuff that was credited to me, so I guess it's a bit of both.

7. Starfighter

Feb 16, 2011
    Male , 38 years old
    Malmö, Sweden  Sweden
    The need for recognition is something I can absolutely relate to, I've felt it as well sometimes! I understand it better now!

8. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Yay! I'm glad you do :) I'm glad you can relate!

9. Necitheshitter

Necitheshitter Member New Member

Oct 31, 2023
    Wales, United Kingdom  United Kingdom
    the only punk band taht has actually had a problem with copy right and the lead singer jumped a store selling a bootleg and said if he saw it again he would kill them

10. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Which band was that? Crass?

11. Necitheshitter

Oct 31, 2023
    I just looked it was Sakevi in GISM

12. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Damn... didn't know that. No, cos Crass also have a problem with copyright. <EDIT: or rather: don't have a problem with copyright. END EDIT> Not all members, but Steve Ignorant and others. Sorry I don't feel like fact-checking now. But you can read some of this shit: https://www.anarcho-punk.net/threads/crass™-©-artworks-are-copyrighted-its-official.16399/
    and here:
    Crass: Capitalist traitors using copyright laws against Anarcho-Punk.Net - 3000 albums deleted because of these greedy selfish sellout bastards

13. Necitheshitter

Oct 31, 2023
    oh damn I met steve recently I know rimbaud hates it when they play the old songs but wtf 3k deleted holy shit

Spike one of many likes this.
  14. Mr_Goldfish161

Mr_Goldfish161 New Member New Member

Jun 24, 2023
    QLD, Australia  Australia
    A problem here is the assumption that copyright protects small artists, which it does not. All copyright is is a tool for the capitalist class to enclose as much as they can.

14 members have read this thread this month

1. Starfighter
  2. Spike one of many
  3. Rune
  4. Charger Bullet
  5. Necitheshitter
  6. Snowy_Seolhwa
  7. Lubbi
  8. Eastbay Madman
  9. Mr_Goldfish161
  10. aint ashamed
  11. Ciberbitch