Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

about copyright

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by Chris Meitanis, Oct 27, 2023.

1. Chris Meitanis

Chris Meitanis Member Forum Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Male , 17 years old
    Athens,Greece  Greece
    Several (or one long) question(s). About ownership rights of art, I understand and fully agree that music should be open to anyone and everyone, without being locked behind paywalls. What I do not understand is the total abolition of ownership rights for the artist. Couldn't anyone just "steal" someone else's work and present it as their own ? Shouldn't creators be protected from that ? Maybe I have misunderstood what people mean when talking about that stuff. Please provide me with your perspective or anything that I am missing.

2. Starfighter

Starfighter d(^_^)b Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male , 38 years old
    Malmö, Sweden  Sweden
    Just a quick question before I think about this some more: If I make a sound, and then you make a sound exactly like mine - how is that a problem?

3. Chris Meitanis

Dec 13, 2022
    Male , 17 years old
    Athens,Greece  Greece
    Have I listened to your sound before or no ?

4. Starfighter

Feb 16, 2011
    Male , 38 years old
    Malmö, Sweden  Sweden
    You have, you intentionally copy me.

5. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    Well I'll sometimes hear a song or riff that sounds almost exactly the same as a song from another band. Every band is influenced by some other band/s to a greater or lesser degree. There's also lots of cover songs which to my mind is probably the greatest tribute you can pay to another band so I don't see anything wrong with that. Also a lot of bands start out as cover bands. But what you're saying is what if a band actually "steals" another band's music (let's say demo), and copies it note for note to claim it as their own... first of all, what kind of self-loathing, unimaginative and undignified band would you have to be in to do that? I don't even think that's possible, people would find out. and anyway, if there's no copyright you wouldn't be able to benefit from it like, say, the Beatles have what with royalties and all that. Maybe that's a bit naive, I haven't really given it much thought but that's all I've got right now. :p

aint ashamed likes this.
  6. Starfighter

Feb 16, 2011
    Male , 38 years old
    Malmö, Sweden  Sweden
    That's pretty much where I'm leaning as well, if there's no monetary gain in any respect then what is being "protected"? A thought? Protected from what?

7. Chris Meitanis

Dec 13, 2022
    Male , 17 years old
    Athens,Greece  Greece

Yeah if course a cover is the best tribute to a band. What I am saying doesn't apply to music as much, but other forms of art like drawing/painting. I am talking about giving credit to the artist and/or asking permission when publishing through another medium.

8. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Well in the case of art - you'd probably have to keep claiming every subsequent painting by that artist as your own because it wouldn't be hard to detect/ establish whether that is in fact your style of painting or somebody else's. There's a lot of debate now with A.I. art that can replicate an artist's style and yet produce originals. Not sure where that's gonna lead to.
    EDIT: That's of course especially relevant for digital art. But I think the ridiculous prices that some of that art sells for deserves to be taken down a few notches and the market flooded by fakes.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
  9. Chris Meitanis

Dec 13, 2022
    Male , 17 years old
    Athens,Greece  Greece
    If you copy me 100%, present the work as your own and give no credits to me then I think that there would be a problem yes.

10. Chris Meitanis

Dec 13, 2022
    Male , 17 years old
    Athens,Greece  Greece

Yeah the hard part with this is that anyone can essentially "copyright" something they claim is theirs without actually being theirs. Also when art is and can be monetized, then "stealing" someone else's art and selling it as your own, either through AI or straight up copying, is fucked up in my opinion

11. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    I think most people will still give credit to the artist and ask permission.

Chris Meitanis likes this.
  12. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Yes but I think the question in that debate is: who actually should get the copyright, the "artist" who fed the info to the AI in order to create said artwork or the AI? I know it's ridiculous, so in that case no-one should have the copyright.

13. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Why not do real paintings and drawings on real media where you can then sign it? (actually you can still sign your digital art which can't be copied (the signature)).

14. Starfighter

Feb 16, 2011
    Male , 38 years old
    Malmö, Sweden  Sweden
    Why? I'm not being rhetorical, I'm genuinly wondering what the ramifications are if someone is not being credited for something. Is it like... feeling robbed of the personal validation?

15. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    I've said it before but in the frantic way these posts are appearing it's very likely that you didn't see it. I said I believe most people would still credit an artist for their work.

16. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    LOL I actually got pissed off with someone who used a particular psytrance track for his youtube clip and he didn't credit the artist. Some people were asking who the artist was. Eventually someone identified them. So I gave him some lip about that.

17. Chris Meitanis

Dec 13, 2022
    Male , 17 years old
    Athens,Greece  Greece
    Ah sorry I didn't see it, I am a new member so I haven't read most threads. I hope that what you say about most people crediting is true.

18. Starfighter

Feb 16, 2011
    Male , 38 years old
    Malmö, Sweden  Sweden
    Why? :o I mean I've made some music as well, and I don't care how it's used, I've already made it and I got what I wanted out of it. Now it exists out there to be used however anyone wishes. I guess I'm the odd duck on this topic, but that's okay. :) Happy to share my perspective!

Also, worth noting, I don't think people wanting to protect their intellectual property/work is wrong, and I would never "steal" music from someone no matter if they condone it or not. I just don't see the inherent worth in being credited the author of something. Well, there obviously are cases where it would be important but not as a general rule.

19. Chris Meitanis

Dec 13, 2022
    Male , 17 years old
    Athens,Greece  Greece
    I really admire the way you feel about it to be honest, I try to think like that most of the time. I don't know if it is just "ego" or genuine belief in intellectual "property" which makes me think that the creator should be credited ( I hope it's the second one ;) )

20. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Well, I said to him (I'm paraphrasing): "you're using someone else's music for your video, which is fine - but at least mention who the artist is." No really I hate that. I've come across that a few times. Not just for the artists sake but also for the viewers' sakes. Like you might wanna know who the fuck the song is by. I don't care about asking anyone's permission to use their songs or whatever, just give them credit for it. It doesn't cost much :D

14 members have read this thread this month

1. Starfighter
  2. Spike one of many
  3. Rune
  4. Charger Bullet
  5. Necitheshitter
  6. Snowy_Seolhwa
  7. Lubbi
  8. Eastbay Madman
  9. Mr_Goldfish161
  10. aint ashamed
  11. Ciberbitch